Study and Strategy questions relating to the GMAT.
AnitaX292
Course Students

GMAT Verbal Timing

by AnitaX292 Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:57 pm

I recently took a GMAT Prep exam. I had less than a minute left for the last question #36 on the verbal section. But I seleected an answer and confirmed by submitting the response. The screen was stuck with the "please wait" icon on the center of the screen. I thought it was processing and would take me to the complete/finish screen. But the time was ticking in the background and I exhausted all the remaining time left and got some message which said this section has expired or I have run out of time or something. But I very well remember that I submitted and confirmed the answer before the time ran out.

After I finished all the sections, on the review screen, I noticed that it said: Verbal - 35 Questions 8 Incorrect (Questions #2, 3, 5, 13, 19, 24, 26, 35). I wasn't sure what this meant. So then I thought may be 36th question's response was not taken into consideration? Did the exam assume that I ran out of time for the 36th question, hence it did not show that i answered 36 questions on the review screen? So my verbal score turned out to be 37. Is 37 reflective of such a section with the number of questions I answered incorrectly? Or is there a possibility the score dropped even further because #36 wasn't probably considered? I just wanted to understand what impact missing a question could have.
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: GMAT Verbal Timing

by StaceyKoprince Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:42 pm

Hmm, that's weird. I would think it would show 36 questions and just say that you didn't answer #36 if the data didn't go through for some reason.

First, on the real test—just so you know—if you have an answer in and the timer runs out, the test will accept your answer even if you have not clicked confirm.

Second, I would expect the same on their official practice test, but since it's browser based, it could have just been an internet issue.

Missing the last question may or may not change the final score; there are many factors that go into that, so it's not possible to say, unfortunately. If it did change your score, it's most likely the case that it would not have changed the score by more than 1 point (so 38 to 37).

And finally: 37 is a very good score on verbal! Nice work! :D
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep