Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
jlucero
Forum Guests

Re: GMATPREP---Irradiation of food

by jlucero Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:23 pm

I think you might need to clarify your question then b/c both Ron & Tim have attempted to answer your question. Ron mentions that Irradiation & Cooking aren't simply alternatives, which is what C reinforces- that they are alternatives. E brings to the table that the statement is misleading because the alternative is that BOTH can be worse than either one by itself.
Joe Lucero
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
bewith.aditya
Forum Guests

by bewith.aditya Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:37 pm

Experts please reply: I eliminated option C because it fails to address whether or not the nutrients/vitamins are depleted for cooked or irradiated food.

I'm I missing anything here?
tim
Course Students

by tim Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:32 am

C doesn't need to address the depletion of nutrients, because the argument itself already establishes that irradiation destroys nutrients and infers that cooking does as well. there is no need for the answer choice to recapitulate what we are already told in the argument..
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
bewith.aditya
Forum Guests

by bewith.aditya Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:34 am

tim Wrote:C doesn't need to address the depletion of nutrients, because the argument itself already establishes that irradiation destroys nutrients and infers that cooking does as well. there is no need for the answer choice to recapitulate what we are already told in the argument..

Thanks Tim. I misread the last portion before the blank, in the question.

RonPurewal Wrote:when you get one of these questions, you should try to simplify the argument as much as you can. once you do that - get rid of as much "noise" and verbiage as possible - you should be able to answer the questions more readily.

in this case, here's a more "noise-free" version of the argument:

People have compared irradiation to cooking and found that they're about the same (in terms of leaching nutrients). Why is this comparison misleading?

when you COMPARE two things, the assumption is that they are ALTERNATIVES.

Can we generalize that a CR question that compares two or more entities assumes that they are alternatives?
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:04 pm

bewith.aditya Wrote:Can we generalize that a CR question that compares two or more entities assumes that they are alternatives?

well, that's usually the reason for making a comparison in the first place.

more importantly, though, this is not the kind of thing for which you should need (or want) a "rule". if a problem involves a comparison between two alternatives, that should be clear enough from context.
reotokate
Forum Guests

by reotokate Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:02 am

Hi,

Since irradiation is no worse than cooking, if cooking is worse than irradiation, the proponents' argument is then misleading.

So why D is wrong?

Thanks!
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:22 am

Choice (d) directly favors the argument.

The argument is trying to establish that irradiation is "no worse than" cooking -- i.e., it's either better or the same. The point made in choice (d) goes in the same direction.
reotokate
Forum Guests

by reotokate Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:18 pm

OMG...You're right! Thanks much Ron!!
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:35 am

You're welcome.
melodyc660
Forum Guests

by melodyc660 Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:22 pm

RonPurewal Wrote:
bewith.aditya Wrote:Can we generalize that a CR question that compares two or more entities assumes that they are alternatives?

well, that's usually the reason for making a comparison in the first place.

more importantly, though, this is not the kind of thing for which you should need (or want) a "rule". if a problem involves a comparison between two alternatives, that should be clear enough from context.

Hi Ron, sorry I couldn't seem to make the connection between 'misleading' and 'alternatives' in my head :(

for this problem, I tried to think this way:
cooking is no better than irradiated --> irradiated is fine
but irradiated food faces two options --> eaten raw/cooked
eaten raw --> beside the point
cooked --> the effect is compounded

now here, I don't know why this is 'misleading' ... there might be a language barrier somewhere, pretty sure if there's a new problem like this, I wouldn't be able to arrive at the solution.

I kind of think if something is misleading, it must have made wrong judgement on a certain type of things. like in option C, it says Cooking is this, but Irradiation is that. so if you are trying to compare apples to oranges, you are misleading. not saying I can't understand why C is wrong though as you already explained in a few posts above, my question is just how to relate 'misleading' to 'alternatives'.

(I quoted the post above because he asked essentially the same question, so I was wondering if I should just immediately think about alternatives when a question asks about what's misleading, or is there a better way to actually understand it?)

thank you!!
HarmeetS612
Forum Guests

by HarmeetS612 Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:58 am

Alternative means one or two or more available possibilities, whereas Misleading means giving the wrong idea.

So here we have to justify why it is misleading -

In option C, a simple fact/additional information is provided, information that is not justifying the 'misleading' asked in the argument.

Whereas in option E, it is mentioned that effects of irradiation and cooking are not related and can be compounded to worsen the nutritional values of many foods.

Please correct me if I'm wrong
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:27 am

that's the idea.
RichaChampion
Students

by RichaChampion Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:34 pm

RonPurewal Wrote:Choice (d) directly favors the argument.

The argument is trying to establish that irradiation is "no worse than" cooking -- i.e., it's either better or the same. The point made in choice (d) goes in the same direction.

Mr. Purewal I have a real tough time understanding how is this strengthening.

There is an intermediate conclusion → Proponents of irradiation point out that irradiation is no worse in this respect than cooking.
What D does →
D. certain kinds of cooking are, in fact, even more destructive of vitamin B1 than carefully controlled irradiation is
This option establishes that irradiated food is not as destructive as the cooking in terms of killing the nutritional components.

By no means this seems to be a strengthener, but answers why this fact is misleading..

This fact is misleading because Irradiation kills nutritional values, but not as much as killed by cooking.
Richa,
My GMAT Journey: 470 720 740
Target Score: 760+
RichaChampion
Students

by RichaChampion Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:15 am

I pondered a lot for the whole day and this is what I understand -

Proponents of irradiation point out that irradiation is no worse in this respect than cooking.

This means that Irradiation is either equal or less in terms of destroying nutritional values, but not more(worse).

Option D is a kind of reproduction of what is stated in the argument -
D. certain kinds of cooking are, in fact, even more destructive of vitamin B1 than carefully controlled irradiation is

Therefore strengthener, Right Mr. Purewal?
Richa,
My GMAT Journey: 470 720 740
Target Score: 760+
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:48 am

the problem is that you're calling this a "strengthener" question. that's not what the words say.
remember—"classifying" questions is dangerous and unnecessary, and should only be done as a last resort when you don't really understand the question!

thinking of questions in terms of "categories" is at best just a crude approximation... and often worse. your primary plan should just be to read the words, understand them, and find what they ask for.
don't forget, CR requires NO "specialized" knowledge, and demands NOTHING that has to be "studied", "memorized", or "learned".
provided you can penetrate the annoying dense formal text and understand what the passages are actually telling you, you should be able to just do what the questions say with everyday human reasoning.

take a look at the first page of this thread. i gave a walk-through of this problem near the top of that page.