Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
Bhaskar

GMATprep SC question

by Bhaskar Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:44 pm

As a result of a supernova explosion, every human being on Earth was bombarded on February 23, 1987, by about 100 billion neutrinos; fortunately, neutrinos are harmless elementary particles that are produced in nuclear reactions and that interact very weakly with matter.

(a) neutrinos are harmless elementary particles that are produced in nuclear reactions and that
(b) neutrinos, which are harmless, are elementary particles produced in nuclear reactions and which
(c) neutrinos are harmless elementary particles produced in nuclear reactions and which
(d) these harmless elementary particles are produced in nuclear reactions, and neutrinos
(e) these elementary particles, harmless products of nuclear reactions, are neutrinos that

Not sure if my reasonings are ok. Please explain
(a) no grammatical error
(b)&(c) "and which" is incorrectly referring to nuclear reactions
(d) changing the meaning of the sentence
(e) not very sure but is probably changing the authors intent

Please explain
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:13 am

is this really a gmatprep question?

i'd agree that (a) is the best (or, more accurately, the least bad) of the answer choices presented here; however, from the standpoint of rhetorical effectiveness, it's still horribly written.
specifically, the fact that neutrinos are produced in nuclear reactions is totally irrelevant to the main idea of this sentence - the idea that the neutrinos don't pose a threat. (note that 'harmless elementary particles' and 'interact very weakly with matter', by contrast, are quite relevant to this theme).

that idea, then, would be much more properly placed in a modifier:
neutrinos, elementary particles produced in nuclear reactions, interact very weakly with matter and are harmless.

if this is really a gmaprep question, i am sorely disappointed in the test writers.

--

(b)
bad parallelism: are elementary particles... and which interact...

(c)
bad parallelism: are harmless elementary particles... and which interact...

(d)
illogical to place 'neutrinos' AFTER 'these ... particles' in the same sentence
(this doesn't really change the meaning of the sentence; it's just an illogical pronoun reference)

(e)
same deal with interchanging 'these ... particles' and 'neutrinos'
Bhaskar

by Bhaskar Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:42 pm

Ron Thanks a lot for the great explanation. Yes this indeed a GMATprep question. I just took the GMATprep test on last friday and got this question. Bhaskar
rfernandez
Course Students

by rfernandez Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:36 am

We're glad it was helpful.
punstar38

usage of that

by punstar38 Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:12 am

could you tell me for the sentence above doesn't 'that' refer to particles and not 'neutrinos'
RonPurewal
Students

Re: usage of that

by RonPurewal Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:41 am

punstar38@hotmail.com Wrote:could you tell me for the sentence above doesn't 'that' refer to particles and not 'neutrinos'

yes.
muralik.abm
Students

Re:

by muralik.abm Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:00 am

Ron.

Please correct me if i am wrong on my below analogy.

I starghtly eliminate B,D&E for the reason that i need to descibe the fortunate thing (neutrinos are harmless elementary particles ) immediately after the keyword "Fortunately" - a non-underlined word - in the senetence

left with A & C

C is wrong for its bad ||ism
and i think the usage of "which" after "and" - as did in this option - is not preffered.

A - Correct

neutrinos are harmless elementary particles
that are produced in nuclear reactions
and
that interact

Regards,
Murali.

RonPurewal Wrote:is this really a gmatprep question?

i'd agree that (a) is the best (or, more accurately, the least bad) of the answer choices presented here; however, from the standpoint of rhetorical effectiveness, it's still horribly written.
specifically, the fact that neutrinos are produced in nuclear reactions is totally irrelevant to the main idea of this sentence - the idea that the neutrinos don't pose a threat. (note that 'harmless elementary particles' and 'interact very weakly with matter', by contrast, are quite relevant to this theme).

neutrinos, elementary particles produced in nuclear reactions, interact very weakly with matter and are harmless.

if this is really a gmaprep question, i am sorely disappointed in the test writers.

--

(b)

(c)

(d)
(this doesn't really change the meaning of the sentence; it's just an illogical pronoun reference)

(e)
RonPurewal
Students

Re: Re:

by RonPurewal Mon May 02, 2011 4:36 am

muralik.abm Wrote:Ron.

Please correct me if i am wrong on my below analogy.

I starghtly eliminate B,D&E for the reason that i need to descibe the fortunate thing (neutrinos are harmless elementary particles ) immediately after the keyword "Fortunately" - a non-underlined word - in the senetence

left with A & C

C is wrong for its bad ||ism
and i think the usage of "which" after "and" - as did in this option - is not preffered.

A - Correct

and
that interact

Regards,
Murali.

that looks good.

in choice (c), the "and which..." is actually incorrect, not just "not preferred"; note that there is nothing in the left-hand part of the sentence that can be placed properly in parallel with the "which..." part.
martelena
Students

by martelena Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:31 pm

I have a question about correct choice A.
I didn't like A actually because of parallelism:

and
that interact very weakly with matter.

I thought that in this case the second "that" was redundant and there is a more concise way to say it:
II) neutrinos are harmless elementary particles that are produced in nuclear reactions and interact very weakly with matter.
So, would that (II) sentence be correct?

And a general question:
In all questions that I remember GMAT used "that ... that" parallel structure only with clauses (contain a subject and a working verb).

For example,
Our teacher says that we should come to class earlier and that we need to work harder.

Thus, above question is the first time when I saw "that ... that" structure being used with just two verbs (meaning obviously that such use is OK too).
Still, in general, when we can/cannot use "that ... that"?

thanks
tim
Course Students

Re: GMATprep SC question

by tim Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:20 am

in general, what you want to do is to look at the way parallelism is presented in each answer choice and make a decision about whether that particular presentation can be considered correct. In many cases, this means that a "that" can be repeated or not at the author's discretion. For this reason, the fact that you've presented an alternative to answer choice A definitely does not make A wrong. Please keep this in mind with SC questions; your job is not actually to correct anything at all, but rather to find outright grammar mistakes and eliminate incorrect choices based on those mistakes..
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
vijay19839
Students

Re:

by vijay19839 Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:12 am

Ron

For Options D & E, I didn't get why These Particles is an illogical pronoun reference to 'Neutrinos'?

Thanks
Vijay

(d)

(e)
RonPurewal Wrote:is this really a gmatprep question?

--

(b)

(c)

(d)

(e)
jlucero
Forum Guests

by jlucero Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:08 am

vijay19839 Wrote:Ron

For Options D & E, I didn't get why These Particles is an illogical pronoun reference to 'Neutrinos'?

Thanks
Vijay

(d)

(e)

Because "these particles" doesn't refer to just any neutrinos, but the 100 billion neutrinos that bombarded the Earth in 1987.

Yesterday I made a dozen chocolate chip cookies; these (the dozen chocolate chip cookies that I made yesterday and no other cookies) are my favorite snack.
Joe Lucero
vijay19839
Students

by vijay19839 Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:20 pm

Joe

Thanks a lot. Now it is very clear to me on why 'these neutrinos' are incorrect in D & E.

Thanks
Vijay

jlucero Wrote:
vijay19839 Wrote:Ron

Thanks
Vijay

(d)

(e)

Because "these particles" doesn't refer to just any neutrinos, but the 100 billion neutrinos that bombarded the Earth in 1987.

Yesterday I made a dozen chocolate chip cookies; these (the dozen chocolate chip cookies that I made yesterday and no other cookies) are my favorite snack.
tim
Course Students

by tim Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:08 am

:)
Tim Sanders

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
aditya8062
Students

by aditya8062 Tue May 13, 2014 7:35 am

Ron
you have said that "and which.." is not just wrong but is also "not preferred" .can you please elaborate this
is it because if we use "and which" then we will be violating the much needed "comma+which" construction ,which you have stressed many times

also please give me a structure in which "and which" can become parallel .honestly i feel that this structure can be parallel ,though that construction will be some thing like below structure

blah blah .....,which XYZ AND which ABC

other than the above mentioned construction ,i feel , "and which" can never be parallel