Does the conclusion escape you? Has understanding the tone of the passage gotten you down? Get help here.
venkat.mahalingam
Students

Grant ordered a bottle of red wine .. MGMAT SC Guide

by venkat.mahalingam Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:56 pm

This is a question from the MGMAT SC Strategy guide
(Third Edition, Guide 8), Page 34, Question 17

The task is to solve the concision,

Question -
A bottle of red wine was ordered by Grant, even though Marie had had the expectation that he would be placing an order for a bottle of white wine.

The answer in the book -
Grant ordered a bottle of red wine, even though Marie had expected him to order a bottle of white wine

My question, when I took a stab at it, I wrote,

Grant ordered a bottle of red wine, even though Marie had expected that he would order for a bottle of white wine.

In my opinion,

1. "Expect" is a reporting verb. Can "that" follow "Expected (Concision - "Too Short" - Pattern 3)

2. Difference between "Order a" and "Order for". In my opinion the former is wrong as it seems that Marie had expected Grant to give orders to a bottle (as in command/instructions). Don't you think to "order for" clarifies the fact that an order is being placed?

Can someone correct my thinking here?

Thanks
Venkat
JonathanSchneider
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: Grant ordered a bottle of red wine .. MGMAT SC Guide

by JonathanSchneider Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:47 pm

The question of "too short" patterns is really one of clarity. As you know, Clarity trumps Concision every time. The main issue with these "Reporting Verbs" is that when you eliminate the word "that" you sometimes sound as though the next noun is the direct object of the Reporting Verb.

For example, we say "The study indicates that the problem has vanished" rather than "The study indicates the problem has vanished," because the latter version makes it sound as though "the problem" is the direct object of "indicates," but the sentence then goes on to make "the problem" the subject of the next clause. As a result, the word "that" is needed here to establish clarity.

This is not really the case with the example you cite: "She expected him to order white wine" comes across clearly. This is more of an art than a science, but I imagine the situation would be different if you had a different beginning to the sentence. Imagine, for instance:

"While waiting at the bus stop, she expected him to order white wine." At this point, the part after the comma sounds (to me at least) like "she expected him." Why? Because she's waiting at a bus stop. And thus more likely to be expecting someone. In the wine example, it has already been established that he is ordering wine, so the second part sounds fine. I know that's a bit of a stretch, but that's just the point: these clarity vs. concision issues are very tricky/subtle! While there are patterns that often hold, there are no hard and fast rules. Ultimately language is an art as well as a science.

As for your second question, "order for" is not idiomatic. It might be in England - I'm not sure, but it sounds kind of British to me - but it doesn't pass as American English, the language of the GMAT. We use "order white wine" where "white wine" is the direct object of the verb "order."
venkat.mahalingam
Students

by venkat.mahalingam Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:53 pm

Thank you Jonathan , that makes sense.
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:30 pm

nice explanation Jonathan!
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep
alicegmat
Students

by alicegmat Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:43 am

Can 'even' be removed from 'even though' in the correct answer without altering the meaning?

The sentence would become:

Grant ordered a bottle of red wine, though Marie had expected him to order a bottle of white wine.

or

Grant ordered a bottle of red wine, though Marie had expected him to order one of white wine.

Regards.
Alisha.
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by jnelson0612 Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:34 pm

alisha.thakar Wrote:Can 'even' be removed from 'even though' in the correct answer without altering the meaning?

The sentence would become:

Grant ordered a bottle of red wine, though Marie had expected him to order a bottle of white wine.

or

Grant ordered a bottle of red wine, though Marie had expected him to order one of white wine.

Regards.
Alisha.

Alisha,
"even though" is a somewhat stronger way than "though" to express how the second thing that happened is surprising given the first thing that happened. For example:
I aced the GMAT even though I never studied.
I aced the GMAT though I never studied.

I think that substituting "one" in for "bottle" is fine. :-)
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor
alicegmat
Students

by alicegmat Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:02 pm

Thanks for the explanation, Jamie Nelson.
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by jnelson0612 Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:19 pm

You are welcome!
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor
AZ679
Forum Guests

by AZ679 Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:09 am

Manhattan SC book, 5th Edition, Page 35, #14

The answer in the book -
Grant ordered a bottle of red wine, even though Marie had expected him to order a bottle of white wine

My Question: Can we use 'expected' instead of 'had expected' in this sentence, especially since this makes the sentence simpler? It seems to me that we do not need the past perfect here.

But there might be a change in meaning:
'had expected' means Mary well before the moment that John ordered had thought about what he would order ...

'expected' means that Mary just as John ordered (or a bit before) thought about what John might order ...

Yes?

Thanks,
tim
Course Students

by tim Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:51 am

There is no error in the way the correct answer is written. There would also be no error if the word "had" were removed. This has nothing to do, however, with whether the new sentence is "simpler": First, "simpler" is not an issue on the GMAT. Second, removing "had" does not make the sentence simpler; it makes it a completely different sentence, with a completely different meaning.

You also seem to have some misconceptions about what the past tense and past perfect tense mean. Please go back to the strategy guide and study those thoroughly.
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html