NicoleW490
Course Students

Graph Estimation Issues

by NicoleW490 Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:09 pm

I know the IR section isn't extremely important at this point in time due to lack of statistical data, but right now I'm getting 1 maybe 2 questions right on this section. I don't want to spend too much time on IR since it's not important, but after investing so much time studying for Quant/Verbal, I don't want the admissions staff to think I just blew off the IR section to save my brain for the more important latter sections.

Here's my real issue: 90% of my errors are NOT because I can't interpret the graph or figure out how to solve the problem. Instead, my errors are because I am not estimating the values on the graphs correctly. For example, if there's a bar chart with 8 different groupings along the x axis, I'll estimate that the far right graph corresponds to a 7.5% y axis value. But really what I needed was 7.75% to get the right calculations to put something like an average or percent comparison. THIS IS SO FRUSTRATING and ridiculous. I'm getting all my answers wrong because of this difficulty perceiving exact values when they are so far from the axis I need to read. I don't know what I can do to resolve this and I'm extremely disheartened. I understand the material; I'm just starting off with the wrong numbers.

Is it just that I can't see very well? Can I use the scrap paper as a ruler and hold it up to the screen to try to get a better idea? Even with this strategy, I'm not sure it will be enough. Please help! Any advice is welcome.
RonPurewal
Students

Re: Graph Estimation Issues

by RonPurewal Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:31 am

Do you have an example of such a problem?

Sure, the problems will require some degree of due diligence, but you shouldn't need the visual acuity of an F-14 pilot just to make out coordinates on a graph.
I'd be instructive to see an actual problem, for the sake of knowing the degree of exactness we're talking about here. (The wrong answers are usually pretty far off——far enough that a decent, not-too-careful-but-not-too-careless estimate is more than adequate.)
RonPurewal
Students

Re: Graph Estimation Issues

by RonPurewal Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:31 am

NicoleW490 Wrote:Can I use the scrap paper as a ruler and hold it up to the screen to try to get a better idea?

Of course you can do this. And it sounds like a good plan, too.