Does the conclusion escape you? Has understanding the tone of the passage gotten you down? Get help here.
rte.sushil
Students

have been descended or have descended ?

by rte.sushil Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:25 pm

Pong is a classic game from which have descended many current computer pastimes.

When i saw this statement in S-V agreement chapter, i was confused and thought the current sentence should be:

Pong is a classic game from which have BEEN descended many current computer pastimes.(Pong is a classic game from which many current computer pastimes have BEEN descended--after fliping)
OR
Pong is a classic game which HAS descended many current computer pastimes. (removed FROM )

Similar to:
She was descended from an old Italian noble family

She is similar to many current computer past times
&
old Italian noble family == Pong?

Please help
Willy
Course Students

Re: have been descended or have descended ?

by Willy Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:09 am

Why do you think there should be 'have BEEN' in the sentence? It makes perfect sense to me with only 'have'.

rte.sushil Wrote:Pong is a classic game which HAS descended many current computer pastimes. (removed FROM )

there is shift in meaning if you remove 'FROM' from the sentence and add 'has'. Now it is saying that

game itself has descended to computer pastimes.

which is not the intended meaning.

Moreover, look at the subordinate clause -- from which have descended many current computer pastimes -- subject here is -'many current computer pastimes' so we need HAVE.

rte.sushil Wrote:She was descended from an old Italian noble family

Your above example is correct because it means SHE was a blood relative of an old Italian noble family.
I Can. I Will.
tim
Course Students

Re: have been descended or have descended ?

by tim Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:37 am

thanks Willy. please let us know if there are any further questions on this one..
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html