Study and Strategy questions relating to the GMAT.
tali62

Have you guys tightened scoring algorithm

by tali62 Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:51 pm

Hi Manhattan Folks,

Have you guys tightened the scoring algorithm during last few days? I wrote CAT 1 and 2 and scored 780 and 760 in GmatPrep Test-1 and suddenly my score dropped to 730 in Mahhattan CAT 3. Not that I made more mistakes in CAT 3 compared to CAT 1 and 2. In fact I made fewer mistakes in CAT 3. My GMAT is scheduled after 2 weeks from now and I'll really appreciate getting a realistic assessment of where I stand.

And btw, I've bought SC question bank and challenge problem archives too and they are damn good resources. Keep up the good work guys.

Thanks,
Tauqueer.
ayang
ManhattanGMAT Staff

MGMAT scoring algorithm

by ayang Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:49 pm

Tauqueer,

Interesting question, as we haven't tightened the scoring algorithm, but are actually planning to in the next week or so. We are doing so to reflect ongoing data that we've gathered from students GMAT results. Real-time results indicated that students scored slightly lower on the real GMAT Verbal percentile than on their last test with us, so we are adjusting accordingly.

You shouldn't be troubled by the variation between your two tests, as the GMAT itself has a plus/minus of 29 points for the same test-taker. Also, you should take the MGMAT scores only as a rough indicator (see previous posts for a more detailed explanation). Another assessment would be the GMAC tests available for download at www.mba.com. Even these aren't perfect as an indicator though - truth is, there's no such thing as a perfect indicator of how you're going to do on the test, other than a real result.

Thanks for the encouragement, and let us know if you have any other questions. - Andrew