Does the conclusion escape you? Has understanding the tone of the passage gotten you down? Get help here.
maximkononov
Course Students

He can hardly be called a liberal

by maximkononov Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:58 am

Foundations of GMAT Verbal (5th edition), page 369, problem 2:

I cannot understand why "He can hardly be called a liberal" means "He is a very strong liberal". I read the "hardly" idiom explanation in the same book and, in my opinion, the explanation doesn't clarify it but makes it more complicated. Isn't hardly means not, not at all?

He can hardly be called a liberal, for his voting record belies the beliefs he professes to hold.
(A) He is not really a liberal because he votes in a way that goes against liberalism.
(B) He is a very strong liberal and always supports liberal beliefs with his vote.
(C) He is slightly liberal, and his voting record goes along with his beliefs.
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: He can hardly be called a liberal

by jnelson0612 Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:01 pm

maximkononov Wrote:Foundations of GMAT Verbal (5th edition), page 369, problem 2:

I cannot understand why "He can hardly be called a liberal" means "He is a very strong liberal". I read the "hardly" idiom explanation in the same book and, in my opinion, the explanation doesn't clarify it but makes it more complicated. Isn't hardly means not, not at all?

He can hardly be called a liberal, for his voting record belies the beliefs he professes to hold.
(A) He is not really a liberal because he votes in a way that goes against liberalism.
(B) He is a very strong liberal and always supports liberal beliefs with his vote.
(C) He is slightly liberal, and his voting record goes along with his beliefs.

Can you check the page number on this? I can't find what you are referring to and I completely agree with you; to me the only acceptable answer would be A.
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor
maximkononov
Course Students

by maximkononov Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:17 am

I double checked the page and this is the page 369, Foundations of GMAT Verbal, 5th edition, Drill 15.6 - Decoding Idioms, problem 2. Answers to Drill 15.6 on page 375 - 2. (B)
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by jnelson0612 Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:01 pm

maximkononov Wrote:I double checked the page and this is the page 369, Foundations of GMAT Verbal, 5th edition, Drill 15.6 - Decoding Idioms, problem 2. Answers to Drill 15.6 on page 375 - 2. (B)

This is very strange. I found this problem on page 299, and the answer shown is A. In any case, I think that you can feel very confident that the answer is A. B makes no sense in this example.
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor
maximkononov
Course Students

by maximkononov Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:19 am

Thanks, Jamie!
I sent the problem to the Errata page. So that, other students will not be confused by the incorrect answer (B).

P.S.: page 299 of the MGMAT Foundations of GMAT Verbal, 5th edition doesn't contain this problem. Page 299 is the title page of the Chapter 15.
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by jnelson0612 Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:01 pm

maximkononov Wrote:Thanks, Jamie!
I sent the problem to the Errata page. So that, other students will not be confused by the incorrect answer (B).

P.S.: page 299 of the MGMAT Foundations of GMAT Verbal, 5th edition doesn't contain this problem. Page 299 is the title page of the Chapter 15.

Oh, I think that the problem is that I am looking at the e-book in the Student Center which is the earlier version of the book. In any case, I'm glad that we could straighten this out! :-)
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor