Study and Strategy questions relating to the GMAT.
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: Hello all, I am a newbie and need help

by StaceyKoprince Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:42 pm

Hi and welcome! A 680 is a great score—congratulations!

What have you done so far to get yourself to that score? What materials have you used, how did you study, what has worked well and what hasn't worked as well, etc? What were your practice test scores for the last 2-3 practice tests you took? (Please also list the source—MPrep test, official test, etc.) What do you think your major strengths and weaknesses are in each section?

Based on the scores you gave, you don't have very many more points you can lift on Q; the top score is 51, so you can only pick up 3 more points there. In V, you have more room to lift—the official top score is 51, but the practical top score is 45 (it's really hard to score above 45). So you have about 10 points of "room" on the V side.

If you can pick up 1-2 points on Q, then you'd need to hit a V score in the high 30s. If your Q score stays where it is, then you'd need to get V into the low 40s. So that's why I asked what your practice test scores were—I'm trying to figure out whether 48 is already a pretty top Q score for you or whether the scores show that you might already be pretty close to picking up another point or two.
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep