If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
testtaker1
Forum Guests

Help evaluate profile

by testtaker1 Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:27 am

Hello,

I recently took my GMAT and was looking for some insight into the potential strengths and weaknesses of my profile. This would help me work towards building a story that would boost my chances of getting into some of my targeted programmes. Some real-world feedback would also help give me a better sense of if I am being overly optimistic about my chances into certain colleges.

basic bio:
Nationality: Indian

Academic Details:
Grad: BBA (in Finance)
Post Grad: PGDM (in Finance) from a top-20 school in India
GMAT: 720 (Q47 V42 IR5 AWA4)

Work experience:
3 years with the big 4.

Post MBA, I started working with the Indian office of a US-based Hedge Fund in the Financial Operations. Been with the firm for 3 years now.

While I have managed a couple of small teams for various tasks, I dont have any significant management experience.

Extra-Curricular Activities :
I have been actively involved in sports at school, college and corporate level.

During my undergrad, I was a part of the strategy club, where I participated and organized in a few management fests.

During my postgrad, I was a part of the committee dealing with student exchange programmes.

Post-MBA plans:
I plan on leveraging my risk advisory/consulting and financial operations in landing a strategy consulting profile — hopefully MBB.

Targeted Colleges:
Based on the my inclination towards a job in consulting, I am looking at a few US Top 15 and Europe Top 5 programmes. I plan on applying in R1 (with excessive positivity) to:
INSEAD
Kellogg
Stern
Columbia
Yale
LBS
HEC

Any inputs on my profile and chances will be helpful. Also, do you think I need to retake the gmat? Will the individual scores be problematic?

Thanks
Last edited by testtaker1 on Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mbamissionjenK
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: Help evaluate profile

by mbamissionjenK Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:30 pm

Hi there,
Thanks for all the details you've shared. So on the 'pro' side you have some respectable experience and a grad degree which is a good sign academically, and sounds like solid extracurricular activities. However in terms of challenges, that grad degree was an MBA equivalent and that does make it more difficult-- you have to convince admissions to admit YOU who already has a similar degree, over other candidates who need that degree even more. It is not impossible but difficult to do. Definitely emphasize why you NEED this degree at this point, and how it's different from the prior degree. Other challenges include coming from an overrepresented population; GMAT compared to that population yes; grades just sound 'ok' to me; and not sure that your 3 years of experience will compare as favorably as it could vs those with 5-6 years of experience with extensive leadership examples. SO with all that in mind.... sure a higher GMAT would help some; and I would suggest adding some safer schools to your list as it is quite competitive and may be difficult for you. Keep that in mind as you make decisions in the coming months!
Jennifer Kedrowski
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
jen@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php