abemartin87
Students

Help with a few Sentence

by abemartin87 Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:47 am

1) Originally developed for detecting cancer, a technique called chemotherapy-59, which can quickly analyze cancerous elements in almost any cell without destroying it, is finding uses in the entire cancer research field.

In the sentence above is "it" referring back to "cell", which is singular, or to "cancerous elements", which is plural?? Is there a rule I am missing that would help me identify that that "it" is clearly referring back to "cell"?

X-elements
Y-Cell

How is the question supposed to be read??

.......,which can analyze X [[in Y]] without destroying X??

or is it

.......,which can analyze X in [[ Y without destroying Y??]]
hence the reference Y is closed in the preposition and clearly refers back to "cell"

2) Hilbert mistook John's appearance at the charitable dinner party for a sign that he was interested contributing back to the community.

Since, GMAC law states possessive nouns can be only be reference by possessive pronouns, "he" cannot refer back to John's appearance in the sentence. Am I correct??

3) John is a successful architect, who attempted to create his own architucral buisness at a young age.

"Who" Is very far from "John" is this sentence alright? I thought it needed to be next to its modifier?

Thank you and god bless you all for your help!!
bolopaneer
Students

Re: Help with a few Sentence

by bolopaneer Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:18 pm

1.if u want to get rid of pronoun just use those elements or that cell there..
BTW elements are plural i think...that resolves ur problem..it is singular

2.. yes he is refering to noun hilbert .. he tried to dress up like some one..

3. i feel it would be awkward to put "is successful" so far from john and placing so big modifire in between will be nasty ... so this line is ok.. and same is given in chapter 12 of MGMT SC.
Last edited by bolopaneer on Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
garima.wadhera
Students

Re: Help with a few Sentence

by garima.wadhera Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:36 pm

[quote="abemartin87"]1) Originally developed for detecting cancer, a technique called chemotherapy-59, which can quickly analyze cancerous elements in almost any cell without destroying it, is finding uses in the entire cancer research field.

In the sentence above is "it" referring back to "cell", which is singular, or to "cancerous elements", which is plural?? Is there a rule I am missing that would help me identify that that "it" is clearly referring back to "cell"? it refers to cancer elements...