Study and Strategy questions relating to the GMAT.
AnitaX292
Course Students

Help with the following GMAT Prep Exam Quant questions

by AnitaX292 Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:33 am

Hi, I recently took a GMAT Prep exam and scored a 44 in quant. I got quite a few questions wrong. I was able to figure out the correct responses for most of them when I reviewed the exam, but I am still not able to arrive at the correct answer for the following problems. Any help is much appreciated.

1. Six countries in a certain region sent a total of 75 representatives to an international congress, and no two countries sent the same number of representatives. Of the six countries, if Country A sent the second greatest number of representatives, did Country A send at least 10 representatives?

(1) One of the six countries sent 41 representatives to the congress.
(2) Country A sent fewer than 12 representatives to the congress.
• Statement (1) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (2) alone is not sufficient.
• Statement (2) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (1) alone is not sufficient.
• BOTH statements TOGETHER are sufficient, but NEITHER statement ALONE is sufficient.
• EACH statement ALONE is sufficient.
• Statements (1) and (2) TOGETHER are NOT sufficient.

2. A circular jogging track forms the edge of a circular lake that has a diameter of 2 miles. Johanna walked once around the track at the average rate of 3 miles per hour. If t represents the number of hours it took Johanna to walk completely around the lake, which of the following is a correct statement?
A. 0.5 < t < 0.75
B. 1.75 < t < 2.0
C. 2.0 < t < 2.5
D. 2.5 < t < 3.0
E. 3 < t < 3.5

3. The number 75 can be written as the sum of the squares of 3 different positive integers. What is the sum of these 3 integers?
A. 17
B. 16
C. 15
D. 14
E. 13

(I am guessing problem #3 is part of number properties? if yes, which chapter in that Strat guide would be good to revise to get comfortable with such questions?)

4. From a bag containing 12 identical blue balls, y identical yellow balls, and no other balls, one ball will be removed at random. If the probability is less than 2/5 that the removed ball will be blue, what is the least number of yellow balls that must be in the bag?
A. 17
B. 18
C. 19
D. 20
E. 21

(For problem #4, here is how I solved it: 12/(12+y) < (2/5). Is this correct logic/methodology? If yes, then I made a silly mistake by just selecting 18 when this actual inequality comes down to y>18. If not, I would like to know how to solve this problem).

Thank you in advance for the help.
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: Help with the following GMAT Prep Exam Quant questions

by StaceyKoprince Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:13 pm

Hello! Please take a look at the forum guidelines—this folder is for overall strategy questions about your studies. GMATPrep questions need to be posted in the two GMATPrep folders (one for Q and one for V).

Please also post a separate thread for each problem unless there is some specific reason that you want to discuss two problems together (eg, they test the same formula or concept). And please note in the guidelines that we ask you to tell us how you tried to solve, where you got stuck, and what specific questions you have about the problem—as you did for #4 on your list.

Finally, since this is the overall strategy folder, I have some overall strategic advice. :)

On this test, it will always be the case that you can't do all of the problems. No matter how good you get, the test will just give you something harder. That means that you will have to guess sometimes on this test. Everyone does, even those of us who score in the 99th percentile.

And so part of your goal is to identify the kinds of questions you cannot do in a reasonable amount of time (or at all). If you spend an unlimited amount of time after a test trying to figure something out and it's just not happening—your goal now actually should *not* be to ask someone else how to do them. Your goal should be to ask yourself how to recognize faster that this problem is really hard for you, so that you can guess quickly and move on.

Take a look at this:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/blog ... -the-gmat/
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep
AnitaX292
Course Students

by AnitaX292 Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:53 am

Thanks Stacey. Your suggestion and this article helped. I applied this strategy in the second GMAT prep exam and my score increased from 44 to 47, just by guessing on those questions related to the topics that I decided to guess/pass on. I now know which topics I want to skip and I plan to apply this strategy in the real exam too. Hope it helps.

Sorry about the reposting and posting the questions on the wrong forum. Will keep note for future posts.
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:07 pm

Excellent! I'm so glad that the strategy had such an impact for you right away! Let us know how things are going.
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep