Does the conclusion escape you? Has understanding the tone of the passage gotten you down? Get help here.
saurabhkamal1981
Forum Guests

Hi Experts, Need your advise.

by saurabhkamal1981 Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:16 am

Hi Experts,

Need your advise. I am currently reading chapter 11 of SC-4th edition guide. In page number 210, concision pattern 7 says: Remove IT IS... THAT...

Wordy: IT IS without fear THAT children should play.
Better: Children should play without fear.

The first construction is perfectly grammatical and even useful when you want to emphasize some aspect of the situation (such as without fear). But the GMAT avoids such constructions in correct answers.

I certainly understand that the first example is wordier and second one is better; however if i check page number 115 of chapter 7 (verb, Tense, Mood, & Voice strategy), it says:-

Command subjunctive is possible with IT is X, in which X is an adjective, such as essential, that conveys urgency.

I understand that the above wordier example does not include "command subjunctive", instead uses "should" which is incorrect, but my main focus is on IT IS... THAT... and this is confusing me.

Should we simply ignore this or there are different rules in case of command subjunctive ?

Please advise.
Will be waiting for your reply.

Thanks & Regards
Saurabh
ChrisB
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: Hi Experts, Need your advise.

by ChrisB Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:32 pm

Hi,

Great question. The GMAT is constantly testing us on our ability to choose the best answer from a variety of alternatives. The rule of thumb you must follow is that a correct answer must be grammatically correct.

You have answered your question for yourself. It is required that you use "it is x that Y" to correctly use the command subjunctive. Get it? :)

Unless an alternative is offered that is both grammatically correct and of the same meaning, then any choice that uses this command subjunctive would be preferred.

Typically the non-underlined portion of a sentence will signal whether the command subjunctive is required as it is in this example:

It is required that you wash your hands before dinner.

In the above sentence, one would not be able to change the non-underlined portion so the 'it is X that Y' construction would be necessary. If the entire sentence were underlined, then you could rewrite it as you did in your example:

You are required to wash your hands before dinner.

Thanks,
Chris
Chris Brusznicki
MGMAT Instructor
Chicago, IL
saurabhkamal1981
Forum Guests

by saurabhkamal1981 Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:23 am

ChrisB Wrote:Hi,

Great question. The GMAT is constantly testing us on our ability to choose the best answer from a variety of alternatives. The rule of thumb you must follow is that a correct answer must be grammatically correct.

You have answered your question for yourself. It is required that you use "it is x that Y" to correctly use the command subjunctive. Get it? :)

Unless an alternative is offered that is both grammatically correct and of the same meaning, then any choice that uses this command subjunctive would be preferred.

Typically the non-underlined portion of a sentence will signal whether the command subjunctive is required as it is in this example:

It is required that you wash your hands before dinner.

In the above sentence, one would not be able to change the non-underlined portion so the 'it is X that Y' construction would be necessary. If the entire sentence were underlined, then you could rewrite it as you did in your example:

You are required to wash your hands before dinner.

Thanks,
Chris

Thank you so much Chris for clearing my doubt.

So, First of all we have to choose a best answer among the options available. Second, to correctly use the command subjunctive "It is X that Y" is correct.

Thank you once again.

Regards
Saurabh
ChrisB
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by ChrisB Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:09 pm

Hi Saurabh,

You're welcome!

Thanks,
Chris
Chris Brusznicki