If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
RahulB226
Students

High enough GMAT Needed / Profile Evaluation

by RahulB226 Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:39 am

Hi,

I am yet to give a GMAT and I am scoring in the range of 720/730 in the official GMATPrep Mocks, and the probability of getting a similar score in actual GMAT is extremely high based on countless debriefs that I have read. My breakup scores are in the range of Q49/50 and V38/40/41 and IR6/78.

I am an Indian male and a mechanical engineer. Though technically I don't really belong to the over-represented Indian IT Male group, I'm apprehensive whether the adcoms would really see the silver lining. My goal is to get in to a top 10 MBA program in US or INSEAD. I haven't yet shortlisted the colleges I would be applying to.

I have studied in Jamia Millia Islamia University; it's a central university and ranked 18th in Indian Government's rankings of universities and ranked 41st amongst engineering institutes. It features in top20/30 in other rankings and is a premier and tough to get in to engineering college in India but is relatively unknown and as the saying goes, "outside of India, the top colleges don't know anything beyond IIT for engineering", which makes it difficult to make the adcoms belive that it is indeed a good college. I am not sure whether I should be trying to make them believe in the first place. My CPI (Cumulative Performance Index) is 6.9/10, equivalent of 67% marks, and I am not aware how it is converted in to GPA scale and based on what I have read everywhere online it is not required for me to convert into GPA for most schools. If we convert the GPA by interpolation it comes out to be (6.9/10)*10=2.76 which comes out as disappointing. However, I know a friend who had 72% and his GPA as calculated by his college (University of Southern California - Marshall School of Business) was 3.7, which is decent enough. Another friend had converted his 70% from http://www.wes.org/ for Duke Fuqua and his GPA stood at 3.4. So, the GPA conversions are random and hence I am not aware, whether I stand in the good, the bad or the ugly spectrum of GPA.

On the professional front, I have worked with Wipro Technologies in Bangalore as a SAP ERP Sales and Distribution, Functional Consultant for 11 months. Post that, I have been working with Samsung Heavy Industries (SHI) in Noida delhi as a Mechanical Rotating Engineer. Samsung Heavy Industries is an EPC company and works in offshore oil and gas sector. I work in its engineering design consultation department. I overlook the technical side of procurement of mechanical equipment. I have been deputed to SHI-Korea office for 3 months and SHI-Nigeria for 7 months for important positions. I took the opportunity of visiting Nigeria during the severe crisis situation of Ebola to help my company and I have good experiences to tell. I have with my efforts saved approx 3 million usd for my company. However, because of the time-bound promotion scenario in the firm I have only received 1 promotion in 5 years and my next promotion is due next year, i.e. in March 2018. My current designation is Senior Engineer. I have appreciation mails from my client and I expect good recommendations from my bosses because of my sincere and dedicated hard work. International Experience of approximately a year is something I think I have as an advantage on my side.

On the extra-curricular front I have passed Tritiya Sopan (third highest level) of Bharat Scouts and Guides (national Scouting and Guiding association of India, recognised by the Government of India), regularly donated blood, actively participated in donation compaigns and some disaster relief activities* during my schooling and college years (such as 1998 cyclone in orissa) and some other such community activities. I have worked as a Math Lead in my company's CSR team. Responsibilites included teaching and leading the team of teachers for mathematics subject. I have been the house captain in both my primary school and senior secondary school. My University didn't have any student union or student government during my stay and hence I couldn't partake in such activities then. I have been a Band Ambassador for promotion of a biopic based on an Indian rock band, named Indian Ocean's journey. I have two research papers on Biodiesel production to my name, published in an International Conference held in Delhi. I have won some technical and debating competitions during my college and school years. I have won some drama competitions and have participated in singing and skits as well. I have also taken part as an Industry representative in development of course curriculum for Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam Technical University, a state university for India's largest state. Though I do have certificates to substantiate my claims for some of the activities the majority of the activitites I have indulged in didn't provide me a certificate and to be honest asking for one wherein none was being given appeared cheesy at that moment. This is the first time I am writing about myself and hence there may be some other things which I may have missed.

Now, coming to the point, my post MBA goals are not yet clearly defined and I have interest in Finance / Investement Banking and though not professionally I have some knowledge, acquired by personal efforts and by burning my own hand, of how stock markets and investing work and I have a keen interest on switching my profession to investment banking. On the contrary, if aligning my goals to my existing line of work will better my chances of getting an admit, I would rather put the aligned goals in my application and try to sort things out once I am in the college.

I come from a middle class family (four children, 3 girls and 1 boy - father worked in central govt job and is now retired, and mother is a homemaker). It wouldn't be possible for me to enrol in a college without scholarship/funding through loans and my aim is to get as much scholarship as I can. Hence, I have two questions, off course based on the information provided by me above : -

1. Whether owing to my desire of as high a scholarship possible, I should wait and put in more efforts to maximize my GMAT score. To let you know, I am struggling with the SC component of Verbal and it appears that I have hit my score plateu at around 720-730. Will a score of 760+ (99%) would give me a serious advantage over a score of 720-730?

2. What are my chances. Is there any advice that you would like to give to me? Please don't be diplomatic and give me the honest review.

P.S. If you have read this far (without skimming though :wink:, even if you have - I completely understand :) ) then sincerest thanks from my side. Though, it is an unedited and unpolished summary of my life and what I have done so far, still I would appreciate if you can give me a brutal honest feedback of my writing style and whether I need to seriously work on it?.

Thanks and Regards,
Rahul
mbaMissionKrista
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: High enough GMAT Needed / Profile Evaluation

by mbaMissionKrista Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:14 am

Hey Rahul

So much to discuss!! I highly recommend you contact us for a free 30 minute telephone conversation. It might be the best way to get your questions answered. It's always hard to evaluate someone's profile without a real GMAT score. Practice test scores generally tend to be "in the area" but my first advice is to take the GMAT and see where your real score falls.

Now, to your question about GPA. In my experience, for Indian applicants, I prefer to see 80%+ GPAs. Because the field is so competitive, it's one way to stand out. But you can't change the past so it is what it is. My recommendation is that you look at schools ranked 20 to 40 based on this and your engineering background. Also, you are more likely to find scholarship money at this level as well, but there's a lot riding on your GMAT for that too. (And yes, 760+ will help you.) You have some really nice international experience, which will help you, so I recommend highlighting that in your CV and in your application overall.

I hope that helps!

Krista
RahulB226
Students

by RahulB226 Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:23 am

Thanks for looking into my profile and answering my queries. I want to connect to MBAmission for the 30-minute consultation. However, how do I go about it? Should I request this from your website or it can be scheduled from here itself? I mean it would be better if I have the discussion with a consultant who would have already gone through my profile which I have put forth here; I think it would be much more productive that way.
mbaMissionKrista
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by mbaMissionKrista Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:13 am

Hey again, Rahul

Here is a link to our sign up form: https://www.mbamission.com/consult/

Unfortunately, I am on holiday in January but any one of my colleagues will be happy to assist. You can share this same information you shared here in your request form.

My best,
Krista
RahulB226
Students

by RahulB226 Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:03 pm

Hi Krista,

I have filled the form on the website. Hoping to hear from you guys soon.

On the GMAT front, I took the GMAT on 07th January and scored a 760 (Q50/V41), just what you said will help me :).

Thanks,
Rahul
mbamissionjenK
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by mbamissionjenK Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:46 pm

Congrats Rahul, great score and thanks for the update! Hopefully you've been able to schedule a consult or will do soon. ;)
Jennifer Kedrowski
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
jen@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php
RahulB226
Students

by RahulB226 Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:51 pm

I've filled the form but haven't heard back from you guys.
mbamissionjenK
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by mbamissionjenK Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:06 pm

Hmm, that seems strange, maybe something went to your spam folder or ?? Feel free to email me at jen@mbamission.com so I can forward your info to our admin team and ensure you get a consultation set up!
Jennifer Kedrowski
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
jen@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php