If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
RonB918
Students

High GMAT, mediocre/low IR: retake?

by RonB918 Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:29 am

Greetings. I posted this in another forum section but then saw "Ask an mbaMission Admissions Consultant" and thought perhaps it might be more relevant here.

I took the GMAT and scored a 750 (V45 Q48) . I'm interested in getting into a top-notch program, (not necessarily MBA, but possibly MS). Financial aid is extremely important, i.e. I'm aiming for a top program and scholarship.

I'm considering retaking the exam. The main reason is that my IR score, at 4, was mediocre/low. I'm concerned that when my score report is reviewed, that my IR will be taken into consideration by admissions and financial aid officials. Remember, I'm looking for a scholarship as well as admission to a top program.

There is a lot of information out there which says that most programs do not consider the IR important in admissions decisions. But exactly how true is that, especially when applying to the most competitive programs? Are there circumstances when IR does become "important", such as when applying for financial aid at top schools, or does a high GMAT score calm the risk of a "red flag" being raised? Would a "4" on the IR section even raise a red flag in the first place? Just how important is it?

Again, I ask these questions because I'm pondering retaking the exam, in hopes that an improved IR score won't appear incongruous (and hence raise question marks) to admissions and financial aid officials. I did not prepare for the IR section before the exam, focusing solely on Q and V. I prepared only for about two months, and wanted to make sure I got as much Q and V prep in that time as possible, at the expense of IR. Why? Well, it's because of all the literature that says the three-digit GMAT score is the only score that really matters...

Unfortunately, now I'm not so sure. What should I do?
mbamissionjenK
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: High GMAT, mediocre/low IR: retake?

by mbamissionjenK Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:48 am

Hi there,
Congrats on an excellent GMAT score! Generally the IR is still not making a big impact in the process, and your overall score is well above any top school's average, and schools are not going to think you should or would re-take with a 750... time to focus on the other areas where you can make a bigger impact, such as essays ! :)
Jennifer Kedrowski
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
jen@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php
RonB918
Students

by RonB918 Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:18 pm

Thank you Jennifer. I won't fret so much now about the exam and whether to re-take.

I suppose that my initial concern was feeling the need to "maximize" my GMAT performance, and although my score was high, it wasn't as optimal as could be, at least not with IR. (My quantitative also was disappointingly lower than expected, but thanks to your reassurance, I say "hakuna matata" or whatever the expression is.) The reason why I was placing so much weight on the GMAT is because of concerns I have about the other parts of my application. I knew I could (can) get a GMAT score to shine and perhaps make up for weakness elsewhere. As a candidate in my late forties, I'm in an unusual situation that presents challenges all its own. I imagine that at this stage, GMAT is weighted quite a bit more heavily in the admissions process than is undergraduate performance occurring over a quarter century ago. And while my career history may be deemed respectable, I don't know how much of it could be considered extraordinary. I wouldn't characterize my curriculum vitae as distinguished. But I do know that an extraordinary performance on the GMAT can indeed distinguish one from the field of contenders.

A goal of mine is admission to either MIT as a Sloan Fellow or Stanford as an MSx Fellow. I understand that essays and other components of the application are far more important than IR, but I thought that when competition is super-tight, that maybe even IR could emerge as a differentiator. From your response, my understanding now is that that is really unlikely and not worth being concerned about.
mbamissionjenK
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by mbamissionjenK Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:40 pm

Hi there,

Thanks for sharing more of the rationale behind your concerns. But yes it would be more likely that other aspects of the more personal/subjective components of your apps will make that difference (i.e. how you portray yourself in your essays, what the recommenders share about you, and your interview). Also for MSx and MIT Sloan Fellows, average GMAT scores are even a bit lower than for full time MBA programs... (partly because like you said it's been so long since school and testing and such!), so a 750 is really great for those programs. Let us know if we can help further! FYI we do offer a free 30 minute consultation opportunity at www.mbamission.com/consult if ever interested. Good luck!
Jennifer Kedrowski
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
jen@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php
RonB918
Students

by RonB918 Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:25 pm

Hi! I'm back with an update of sorts.

Well, I didn't retake the GMAT, but as it turns out, I probably spent more time pondering doing so than warranted, especially as application deadlines drew near. I'll tell you a story about my GMAT experience. When I took the GMAT last year, not only was I disappointed by my IR score, but a dreadful thing happened when I took the quantitative section. After I'd completed IR, it was time for an 8-minute break. I looked at the clock on the testing room wall and made a note of the time. Anyway, as the end of break was coming up, I was finishing my snack and went to go look at the clock in the testing room. One of the proctors pulled me away from the glass walls I was approaching to look through and find the clock. He stated there was a clock in the adjacent break area where we were standing, and he pointed to it. It showed I had several minutes left. I finished my snack promptly and another proctor led me back into the test area. She signed me onto my computer (after fumbling a little on the keyboard, to my dismay). Now to my horror, the computer screen said that almost two minutes had been deducted from my quantitative test time because I'd exceeded the allotted 8 minutes for break -- the clock the proctor had pointed me to, after he pulled me away from the "real" clock I was looking for, was slow! I was totally shaken. Now I had only about 73 minutes to complete all 37 questions of the Q section instead of 75 minutes. I thought to myself, "I'm going to have to cancel this score when it's over; it won't reflect my ability or my performance had I been given the full allotted time." Rattled, I barreled through the Q section trying desperately to make up for the lost minutes. I wasn't able to complete the last question; I know I would have if I had the minutes I'd lost, not to mention the greater focus I would have had were it not for the discomposure resulting from the lost time.

After the verbal section and the end of the test, I waited with a heavy heart for the screen to display my score. There it was:
Q48, V45, IR4, Total 750.

"Hmm", I thought, "maybe I won't cancel this after all..." I kept it.

Anyway, both the IR and quantitative scores really bugged me. I thought the IR score was low/mediocre. As for the Q score, I knew I could have done better if the my time hadn't been cut short. I knew that with 75 minutes I could have gotten 49, and with greater composure (and some luck) even a 50+. Nonetheless, I figured I could "live with" a 48 even if though it wasn't my best. My IR became my greater concern. I knew I could improve it too. I agonized about retaking because of the Q time incident, but also because of the IR score.

And that brought me to this forum.

The upshot is, based on the preponderance of advice I received from this and other forums, I did not retake. I got around to living with my score, and began working on other parts of my applications. I do have positive news to report, but it's too early to know the ultimate outcome. My update will be in my next post.
RonB918
Students

by RonB918 Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:53 pm

Okay. The positive news.

I received an invitation to interview at one of my top business school choices. It will be an interview on-site, at the school.

And I thought I thought my GMAT performance caused me to worry, lol; now I'm really nervous!

I have a few super basic questions about how to do this. What to wear? Is it customary to don a suit, or are these interviews more informal and business casual will do? Do I bring a notepad? A laptop computer? A briefcase? All of the above? Or just myself?

What about luggage? Since these interviews are at the school's campus, I know that a lot interviewees (such as myself) will be flying in and out of the area and the interview might take place close to arrival/departure time. Hotels can be strict about check-in/check-out times, and if I take a taxi cab to the interview from the airport, or before leaving for the airport, I might have some carry-on luggage with me. Yes, I'm a light traveler and the luggage shouldn't be obtrusive, but how would it appear? Is it something interviewers are used to seeing, or does it look bad? I can work around it if necessary.

I'm working to prepare for the actual interview itself, but I need some advice on those "other" things such as attire, accessories, etc. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
mbamissionjenK
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by mbamissionjenK Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:27 pm

Hi there,

Wow, what a frustrating GMAT timing-experience you dealt with! Very impressive that you still nailed a 750, despite the shorter time AND the stress of dealing with that! ;) But yes I certainly support your ultimate decision, and CONGRATS on the interview invite, very exciting!!

So yes, think of many of the accepted conventions of a professional job interview-- business attire, confident but friendly demeanor, appropriate body language, firm handshake, eye contact, smiling when appropriate etc. ;) Being 'likable' can go a long way! Erring on the side of more professional attire is generally a good thing. Of course read everything the school sends you about what to bring and wear and do carefully first and foremost. But I usually recommend to my clients to bring copies of their resume just in case, and likely a portfolio with pen/paper. No need for laptop unless the school specifies or you just want it with you for some reason. Can be nice to have some water with you. In terms of luggage, if timing works you could leave it at your hotel, but if easier to go straight to the school a small professional looking suitcase is totally fine to take with you and not unexpected as yes others find themselves in a similar situation as well. It can also be helpful to reach out to any current or recent students to ask about their experiences first-hand! ;)

Good luck and keep us posted if we can help. Let us know how it goes!
Jennifer Kedrowski
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
jen@mbamission.com