Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
asker
Prospective Students

High temperatures, beaches that are expansive

by asker Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:47 am

High temperatures, beaches that are expansive, and active volcanoes attract close to seven million tourists to the Hawaiian Islands each year.

a High temperatures, beaches that are expansive, and active volcanoes attract close to seven million tourists to the Hawaiian Islands each year.
b Close to seven million tourists are attracted annually to the Hawaiian Islands by high temperatures, expansive beaches, and volcanoes that are active.
c High temperatures, expansive beaches, and active volcanoes annually attract close to seven million tourists to the Hawaiian Islands each year.
d High temperatures, expansive beaches, and active volcanoes attract close to seven million tourists to the Hawaiian Islands each year.
e The Hawaiian Islands, having high temperatures, beaches that are expansive, and active volcanoes, attract close to seven million tourists each year.

Official Exp:
The original sentence lacks parallel structure. “Beaches that are expansive” disrupts the adjective-noun pattern of “High temperatures” and “active volcanoes.” Furthermore, the phrase “beaches that are expansive” is wordy and a more concise form “expansive beaches” is preferred.

I chose E
Official exp said: This sentence lacks parallel structure. “Beaches that are expansive” disrupts the adjective-noun structure of “high temperatures” and “active volcanoes.” Further, the phrase “beaches that are expansive” is wordy and a more concise form “expansive beaches” is preferred. Finally, this choice implies that the “Hawaiian Islands” attract tourists. It is clear from the original sentence, however, that the “temperatures…beaches…and volcanoes” attract the tourists, not the Islands themselves.

My thought: I realized I was wrong on the parallel issues "beaches that are expansive,", but cannot agree with the meaning issue of: "Finally, this choice implies that the “Hawaiian Islands” attract tourists. It is clear from the original sentence, however, that the “temperatures…beaches…and volcanoes” attract the tourists, not the Islands themselves."

Example of OG13-137, clearly changed the subject of the second clause from JR & GM, to "but whose reputation". So it all depends on the context, not depends on the "It is clear from the original sentence", as the official exp said.

Therefore, if in E, "beaches that are expansive" changed to "expansive beaches". should also be a right option.