Study and Strategy questions relating to the GMAT.
Maria

How is GMAT scored

by Maria Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:29 am

I did a test today online and below is my overview score
TYPE SCORE ESTIMATED PERCENTILE RANK
Quantitative 49 90 %
Verbal 37 83 %
Total 710 94 %

I am a bit confused about how the score is calculated ,
First, how come the total estimated percentile rank is 94% when both quantitative and verbel are below that level ?
Second, I have realized that there are 13 problems answered incorrectly out of 37, how could I still score 49 ? If I understand correctly the full score is 50 ?

Can anyone help me on this ?
Thanks
Maria
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:54 pm

This test is not scored the way normal paper-and-pencil tests are scored. First, the score is not a function of the percentage correct; it is a function of the difficulty level of the questions you answer. Everyone takes a different test - the test adapts itself to what you get right or wrong.

As a result, the vast majority of test takers get about half of the questions right and about half of the questions wrong. Above 700, this starts to skew a bit in favor of right answers, but even if you score an 800, you will get a number of questions wrong. In addition, as you improve, the number you get right vs. wrong won't change much. What will change is the difficulty level of the questions you are offered.

Finally, your "94" is a percentile ranking, not a percentage calculation. Percentiles are based on the population of test-takers and reflect your ranking based on that whole population. Both your quant and your verbal are very good. That's unusual; most people who are good at one are not as good at the other. So your combined abilities are better than 94% of the test-taking population because 94% of the people who take the test cannot do as well as you did in the two sections combined.

Also - nice job! 710's a great score!
p.s. the "full score" for the math and verbal subsections is technically a 60, but it is extremely difficult to score above about a 51. Again, this is not calculated based on percentage correct anyway - so the number itself is fairly meaningless, except as it tells you your percentile ranking.
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep
Maria

Thanks

by Maria Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:20 pm

Appreciate your explaination .
I am taking GMAT tomorrow in Guangzhou .
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:47 pm

good luck! (Or I guess you've taken it by now, so I hope it went well!)
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep