Study and Strategy questions relating to the GMAT.
CarolynP366
Course Students

How to deal with continual cancellations of GMAT exams

by CarolynP366 Thu May 21, 2020 11:50 am

Hello,

I have a question about how to deal with continual cancellations of the GMAT exam. I have read the blog post "My GMAT was Canceled. Now What?" and it was very helpful but I was wondering if I could get some specific advice on my situation. My exam was scheduled for March 21st. That was cancelled, same with a May 1st exam. I tried to take the exam today, May 21st but my name wasn't on the list and I guess it has been postponed without my knowledge. I am skeptical that my June 6th exam will happen either so I think the next realistic date for me will be July 24th.

The good news is I have been getting better with each passing months (blessing in disguise I guess!) but I am worried I will plateau and start to forget what I learned in my class (January - March) / start to burn out and run out of practice questions and resources.

I am wondering how much I should be studying each week to maintain my skill level but for an extended period of time (2 months). Is 6-8 hours a week acceptable to do for about 2 months until I can take it again? Or will my skills fall? It has also been a while since I was in the class so I am wondering if this will be enough to maintain my most recent score (700). I only have 2 more CAT's left that I am able to take as well.

Any advice on how much to study, what to study / focus on during these next two months and how to stay calm mentally without getting burned out would be much appreciated. Thanks!

-Carolyn
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: How to deal with continual cancellations of GMAT exams

by StaceyKoprince Fri May 22, 2020 10:15 pm

This is a great question. Thanks so much for asking it; I'm positive you're not the only one trying to figure this out!

Can I ask—you say you tried to take it but your name wasn't on the list. So you were scheduled for an in-person exam, you showed up at the testing center, and they told you they didn't have a record of your name or test for that day? Do you still have the email that they sent to you confirming that you'd booked the test?

I know that testing centers have had to cancel tests when stay-at-home orders have been extended in that city, but in the cases I'm aware of, my students did receive communication that their tests had to be postponed. I'm not sure whether that was via email or phone—but it's worth checking your spam filter to see whether you find anything there. Also, when you log into your mba.com account and look at the section that has your test appointments, what does it say?

Next, you don't mention the possibility of taking the exam online. I don't know whether you've tried practicing with the whiteboard already. I've spoken with students who tried it for a little while—a few days or a week—and then decided it wasn't going to work for them. I think it takes at least a couple of weeks of regular (daily) practice to really feel comfortable with it, but I do think many, if not most, people can get to the point where they feel fine with it if they put in the practice. We've had other students take it now, not just teachers, and some of them have even gotten official scores that were higher than any of their practice tests (including tests with the regular scratch paper).

I've been using it for about a month now. I just took the official EA Online a couple of days ago and I've gotten to the point where it feels natural. I didn't have to think about what each button / icon meant or which tool I wanted now or how I wanted to organize my work or anything. I was just able to forget about that part of things and do my work, same as picking up a pen.

It does take effort to learn, but you're practicing most days already / anyway, right? I would consider incorporating it into your daily studies now. If your June 6th exam is canceled, then you might find by mid to later June that you actually feel comfortable enough to go ahead and take it. Then you don't have to wait around until late July.

Also, I learned some news earlier this week that makes it a lot more of a no-brainer to just try it and see how it goes. GMAC is keeping Online scores separate from Test Center scores—you basically have two different scoring records and you report them separately to schools. So, if you take the exam online and don't like your score, you just don't report that record to schools. You wait until you can take it in a testing center and you report only your test center scores. (Or vice versa—if you like your online scores and not your test center ones, just report your online scores. Or report both if you like both!)

Okay, so now to your actual question. :)

Yes, ~6 hours a week is a good "maintenance" level—you'll be able to keep your skills more or less where they are. You will of course forget little details and more obscure rules, but about 3 weeks before whenever you are going to take it, you'll ramp back up again. You'll do a more detailed review / reminder of everything, take a couple of practice tests, and then you'll get in there and be good to go.

You have 2 more of our CATs? Have you taken any of the official practice tests yet? I usually recommend using one of the official ones as your last one, about a week before the real test.

You can repeat both ours and the official. It's possible that you'll see questions you've seen before, but if it's been a while, chances are you'll have forgotten most of them anyway so you may not even notice a repeated question.

In terms of content for maintenance mode, you really just want to be cycling around lots of different things. Then you'll see most things once or twice vs. seeing certain things all the time but then completely forgetting about other things. I'd do a random, timed problem set (use OG or our end-of-chapter problems in the books). For OG, you can pick out stuff to some extent just by glancing at the problems (an algebra, a geo, a wordy / wall of text problem, etc).

Then use the problem review to do a broader review—that's the real goal. eg, You realize that you were a little shaky on the exponent rule for this problem, so you go back and review all the exponent rules in that chapter of the book. And maybe you set aside your exponent rules flash cards in a little pile of cards that you know you're going to review in the 2-3 weeks of your ramp-up before the real test. Basically, use the problem review as a jumping off point for stuff to go explore / remind yourself about right now as well as making a list of where you want to spend your review time in ramp-up mode.

Re: burn-out, ~4-6 hours is likely enough for maintenance—you don't need to do 8+. If one week, you're feeling it, feel free to go for 6 to 8. Another week, when you're not, give yourself more of a break. And if you find yourself really feeling burned out, go ahead and give yourself a few GMAT-free days in a row.

The other thing I'd try to use in maintenance mode is this idea of: I'm learning to play this game / sport. I want to be good enough to have a good game with my friends when we can get back together to play again. I don't need to kill it—it's a friendly game. I'm just trying to keep my skills up so that it's enjoyable when we get together to play.
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep
CarolynP366
Course Students

by CarolynP366 Tue May 26, 2020 9:06 am

Stacey,

Thank you for the thorough response! I really appreciate it. To answer your question, I think something is happening with the GMAT website because I checked the night before and it said my test was scheduled in person and I had not received a cancellation email. And yes, I showed up at the test center, it was open and other people were taking different exams administered by Pearson but the proctor couldn't find my name/test on the list.

I called customer service and they tried to explain it had been postponed but couldn't give me a reason why I was still able to see it on my account. I believe the same thing is occurring with the June 6th date because the customer service representative said that one was postponed as well even though I still see it as "scheduled" on my account. The representative said these had been rescheduled to December dates but I can't see any of the December dates on my account page. I do still have the email confirming I was booked for the test.

My biggest fear with the online exam is having to use the whiteboard and experiencing technical difficulties, I haven't seen great reviews about this exam going smoothly. I could try to practice a bit with the whiteboard and see how it goes. I would also have to switch the order of the sections that I have been practicing for, I have been doing verbal first. That is great to know about the online scores being separate from the regular scores, definitely something I will consider.

I have 2 more CATs left and I have taken 4 GMAC exams - I have been taking the official ones a week before my test dates. Thank you for the helpful information about maintained and how much to study / what to study. That is extremely helpful, I will be able to build a study plan around this.

-Carolyn
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Tue May 26, 2020 11:29 pm

Ok, that dovetails with some of what I know—when someone has an exam that needs to be canceled, they've told me that they auto-reschedule the test for December and then you can reschedule for whenever you like. So it sounds like the first part of that worked, but the second part—where they, you know, tell you they did this—did not.

I'll tell my contacts at GMAC that you've reported this. If you're ok with going on record (ie, having me tell them your name, in case they have questions / want to troubleshoot how this happened), can you shoot an email to gmat@manhattanprep.com and give me your name, the relevant test dates, and your GMAC ID? (Please don't post your GMAC ID here on the forums.)

Next question: So the person told you the June one was postponed. Can you reschedule with them on the phone, since you can't see this in your account?

Yes, it's possible that you'll have tech issues on test day. That's also possible even in the testing center. I took the Official Executive Assessment (EA) online last week (it's a sort of sister test to the GMAT) and I did have whiteboard issues in the first section (it was just erasing everything I'd typed every 30 seconds or so!). They were able to reboot the software and the timer started at the same time it was at when they rebooted. I did lose a few minutes simply because I didn't report it right away, so learn from me and call the proctor immediately if you have any issues. They rebooted really quickly and the software automatically picks up right where it left off (and the whiteboard bug disappeared after the reboot).

For testing centers, you just don't see everybody talking about the times when there are issues because everybody's used to that setting. Right now, though, everyone's freaking out about the online exam, so everyone's talking about it. (In a testing center, one of our teachers once somehow hit some weird combination of keys while typing their essay. It changed the keyboard to what appeared to be Chinese characters and the proctors couldn't figure out how to change it back. Our teacher didn't care because we don't take the exam for grad school admissions purposes, but if this had happened to someone who really needed the score, they'd have had to retake the exam just to get the essay score.)

Re: whiteboard, yes, there's work to be done to get used to using it. When I took the GMAT Online about a month ago, I'd only been using the whiteboard for 3 days and I was clunky with it and it was also just taking up brainspace that I'd rather have spent thinking about the problems. When I took the EA Online last week, I was used to the whiteboard enough that I didn't even have to think about it or about how I was using it. In that sense, it was like picking up a pen—I just did it while my brain was still thinking about the problem.

So that's the point you'd be trying to get to—you're able to use the whiteboard without thinking about the fact / noticing that you're using the whiteboard.

I did a bunch of practice before my GMAT Online. But between the GMAT and EA, I didn't actually do all that much. I did some new OG problems (Quant only) from the latest edition of the OG that just came out (2021). I didn't take another practice test (of either type). I just basically did "homework" problems (for me, it's work-work, not homework, but you know what I mean :) ). But I did enough of a variety of different types that my brain was able to get used to working this way and then it just felt normal when I was taking the EA.

I think the key was really just doing a little bit, every day or two, over a period of time. That allowed me to try things and see what did and didn't work for me. For the things that worked, I kept doing stuff that same way, so that built the habit in my brain and I was eventually able to just react without thinking consciously about it. And for things that didn't work, I'd try something different the next day, until I found something that did work.

My best advice really is just to try to give yourself that option. You're doing practice problems anyway, so just do some this way and see how it goes. I just told my class tonight to start with OG problems that you've marked to redo. Try them the second time in the whiteboard—you've already done them once, so it won't be quite as much of a lift as doing new ones using the whiteboard. And then you can graduate to new ones once you start to feel a little more comfortable.
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
ManhattanPrep
CarolynP366
Course Students

by CarolynP366 Thu May 28, 2020 7:38 pm

Stacey,

Yes I think you are right - first part worked, and they rescheduled a couple of my exams to December and then the second part did not and did not show up my online GMAT account correctly either. And yes, I will send an email! I was able to get a hold of someone on customer service and I had them reschedule me for another "rain check" date in September. I also had them "cancel" my exam that was supposed to take place on May 21st so I could get a refund - what's interesting is the email I received for this cancelled exam had a December date on it, although it still showed up on my account until today as May 21st.

I have read about the whiteboard erasing problem, that seems to be the most stressful but good to know they were able to reboot it and you didn't lose too much time. And good point about technical issues at the exam center, it probably happens a fair amount but we don't hear about it as much.

I did try a few problems with the whiteboard and it was very clunky at first, but I was able to manage. I redid a few problems from my log and was slower overall. The typing function is interesting because I am much faster at typing than writing so I have tried to do that more for some things vs. using the pen function. I think the biggest place I will get tripped up is having to deal with fractions that I need to simplify - I tend to make careless mistakes here and writing out more than I need helps me. I had a hard time "crossing out" common factors in a fraction when it was written as 24/48 on a computer for example. I will continue to redo my problems with the whiteboard and hopefully I'll get faster and figure out the best way to do them.

And that's very helpful to know what you did between GMAT and EA, my one outstanding question still is how long can I wait to take a practice CAT/GMAC? I am trying to space them out correctly but I am not sure how often I should take them, for example could I continuing studying and wait until July to take another practice exam? Or maybe take one in the middle of June and then a couple more in July? I know the recommendation is to do one at least every 3 weeks but wondering how far this can be stretched.

Thank you so much for all of the advice and information, I really, really appreciate it and feel so much better now about how I will continue to study until my next exam date.

-Carolyn
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:50 pm

I think your brain will figure it out with practice. :D Think about the first time you used a touch screen vs. now—you don't even need to think about how you use your phone or tablet now, right? But there was a serious learning curve the first time.

When you're in active "try to get better" mode (after having been through your baseline material the first time), I'd say to take a CAT about every 2-3 weeks. When you're in maintenance mode, I'd make it more like 3-6 weeks, depending on your specific timeframe. Mostly closer to the longer end, but since you're also working on your whiteboard skills, maybe more like 3-4 at least for the next one. Just see how it goes. You want to be far enough in your whiteboard practice that the CAT won't feel like one huge exercise in frustration—you can actually take and finish the exam. But you don't want to wait too long, since taking that test will also point out to you other things that you need to work on in terms of getting better for the full testing experience (whiteboard and other things).

Good luck with everything—let me know how things are going!
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
ManhattanPrep
CarolynP366
Course Students

by CarolynP366 Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:39 pm

Stacey,

I cannot thank you enough for all of the helpful advice you have given me. I really appreciate the thoughtful and thorough responses.

I will keep you updated! Thank you again. :D
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:04 pm

You are very welcome! (Also, did you see the news today! Starting in a week, they're going to allow physical whiteboards for the GMAT. Yay!!)
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
ManhattanPrep
RoyY358
Course Students

by RoyY358 Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:26 pm

can we just buy any whiteboard from a stationary supply store? as long as it meets the requirements (under 12" x 20") ?
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:51 pm

Yes, as long as it meets the full requirements—up to 12 x 20 inches, dry erase, plain white background.

Here's the official page with the requirements:
https://www.mba.com/exams/gmat-online/prepare-for-your-exam/whiteboard-options
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
ManhattanPrep
CarolynP366
Course Students

by CarolynP366 Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:52 pm

Hi Stacey,

Posting for an update. I did end up taking the online exam with the physical whiteboard (what a great change!) and got a 660 (43 Quant 38 Verbal). This is 10 points below the average for most schools I am going for, above the average for some. It was a little personally disappointing because I had gotten a 670 and 700 on recent GMAC tests. The online exam went very smoothly, I had no issues. I am going to challenge one question because I believe part of it was cut off but that's about it.

I also recently took the GMAT a second time in person to see if I could raise my score. I unfortunately got a 650 (37 Quant, 41 Verbal). This was very disappointing as the context felt perfect, I was not nervous and was not expecting a 650. I got a better IR score than my online exam (got a 5 online - not sure what I got on the actual test, I forgot to look but I went from 52% to 82%tile so definitely did better), I am not sure how much this matters. I cancelled my score immediately.

I am wondering if I should reinstate my 650 score to show schools I got a 41 on Verbal despite the significant drop in Quant or if I should just submit the 660. I do not think I want to take it again as I did not feel bad about how that test went so I couldn't point to anything I would fix.

Best,

Carolyn
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:27 pm

Are you going for a Masters program? (Some PhD programs will consider all scores.)

If so, the schools will use your highest score if you have multiple on record. (And they won't ding you for having multiple scores, so don't worry about that.)

Some schools may also glance at / compare your subscores to see whether you did better on the lower test, so it can be worth having that on the record, yes. The question is whether it's worth the fee to you (because they do charge a fee to reinstate the scores). Last I checked, it was $50.

V went from 38 to 41. V38 is a more than acceptable V score; 41 is an excellent score. On the IR, the 82nd percentile is a score of 7. A 5 is an acceptable score; a 7 is also excellent. I'd say the difference in scores is greater for IR than for V.

The variable we don't know is whether the schools to which you plan to apply will only look at the 660 test or whether they will also glance at the other scores. Given that the Q score is the weaker score, it could be worth having that 7 on record for the IR—to reassure someone that your Q was really solid on that section of that exam.

I wish I could give you a definitive answer—definitely do it or nah, don't bother. So I'll say: If $50 is not a big deal to you, go ahead and reinstate. If $50 would be more of a hardship, sign up for a free 30 minute consultation with MBA Mission and ask them. (Tell them your specific schools in case they have any specific intelligence about how those schools look at scores.)

For others reading this, I wouldn't cancel a second test score that's below your overall if some of the subscores are higher (assuming you are not going for a PhD). It won't hurt you to have the second score on record; it could possibly help you.
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
ManhattanPrep
CarolynP366
Course Students

by CarolynP366 Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:47 am

Stacy,

Thank you for your thoughts! I am just looking at Masters programs, not PhD.

This aligns with a video I just watched for one school I am applying to, they said a second score even if lower won't hurt you and could show effort. I was just worried because my Quant score went down pretty significantly. I think $50 will be worth it but I might schedule a consultation anyway.

Thank you again for your advice.

Best,

Carolyn
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:10 pm

Oh, good, I'm glad the schools are putting that info right out there, too. :D

Let me know what you decide to do! And good luck!
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
ManhattanPrep
CarolynP366
Course Students

by CarolynP366 Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:27 pm

Stacey,

Quick update here. I did meet with an mbaMission counselor and she was very helpful in providing another perspective on what to do. I ended up taking the GMAT again and got a 700! 41 verbal, 45 quant and 7 IR.

I am now trying to decide whether to send the 660 score (38 verbal, 43 quant, 5 IR) to schools who like to see 2 GMAT scores to show improvement. The only thing is the score reports won't show up together because 1 is from online and 1 is from in person and the 660 score even though from June has not been sent anywhere yet because it is online.

Either way, I am glad I took it again and improved my score.

Best,

Carolyn