Study and Strategy questions relating to the GMAT.
SetarehR478
Course Students

I need a 50 point increase in 5-6 weeks

by SetarehR478 Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:06 am

Hi!
I need a 50 point increase within 5-6 weeks I am at at 490-520 right now and gone through session 5 of Manhattan course , studied about 1 month (used to be at 400 base)... is this a realistic goal?

I do have FULL time commitment to studying so I can study all day...

I also am getting a tutor from Manhattan just incase...
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: I need a 50 point increase in 5-6 weeks

by StaceyKoprince Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:22 pm

Based on the details you have given me, you have a chance, yes. (There are no guarantees, of course—studying a certain amount doesn't automatically mean earning a certain increase.)

You have only finished 5 out of 9 sessions, so you still have quite a lot of new material that you haven't covered yet. Also, you have made good progress already in the 5 sessions that you have completed. Those two items together indicate that you have the potential to learn more / increase your score further.

You also have a clear schedule—you don't have full-time work or the like to take significant time away from studying. And you are seeking outside help to address any stumbling blocks quickly (ie, you don't have to take the time to figure out how to unstick yourself when you hit a wall—an expert can help unstick you).

I will say: it is very possible to study too much and burn yourself out. Be careful about that. Don't study 8 hours a day—studying that much usually leads to mental exhaustion and when your brain is exhausted, it doesn't learn well. Make sure that your tutor knows how much you are studying and listen if s/he tells you that you're doing too much and not to do so much. :)

Good luck—let us know how it goes!
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep