Math questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test.
amk250

I think this math problem is worded incorrectly?

by amk250 Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:56 pm

I got the following CAT problem wrong because the 2nd data sufficiency point says that '15% of employees have advanced degrees and 1 yr or MORE of experience'. That's why I answered A - Part 1 is sufficient, but not Part 2, which made no sense since data overlapped.

However the correct answer is choice D, because I think part 2 was meant to say '15% adv degrees and LESS THAN 1 YEAR'?

At a certain company, some of the employees have advanced degrees, some have one year or more of work experience, and some have both. If 20 percent of all employees have one year or more of experience and no advanced degree, what percentage of employees have advanced degrees and less than one year of experience?

(1) 35 percent of the employees do not have advanced degrees and 55 percent have less than one year of work experience.

(2) 15 percent of the employees do not have advanced degrees and one year or more of work
experience, but 45 percent have one year or more of experience.
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:11 am

Hi - can you give me the name of the question so I can look up the full text + explanation in our database? (You can get the name by looking at the list of questions in the quant portion of your test.) Thanks!
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:25 am

This one's tough to show in this format b/c I can't draw a double-set matrix (the technique for this type of problem)
4 categories:
1) adv deg and less than 1 yr exp ** What we want to find
2) 1+ year exp and no adv deg
3) adv deg and 1+ year exp
4) no adv deg and less than 1 yr exp

Problem is in percentages, so choose 100 employees total. 20 are in category 2. Want to know how many are in category 1.

Statement 1: 35 don't have adv deg (combo of categories 2 and 4). Question told us 20 are in category 2, so 15 are in category 4. 55 have less than 1 yr exp (combo of categories 1 and 4). We've just figured out that 15 are in cat4, so there are 40 in cat1. Sufficient.

Statement 2: 15 have neither advanced degrees nor 1+ yr exp (category 4). 45 have 1+ yrs exp (combo of categories 2 and 3). Therefore 100 - 45 = 55 have less than 1 yr exp (combo of categories 1 and 4). Category 4 has 15, so category 1 must have 40. Sufficient.

I think the confusion lies in the wording "do not have advanced degrees and one year or more of work experience." This doesn't mean that they DO have 1+ yrs exp, it means that they do not - the "do not have" applies to both pieces of info. I do think it could be worded more clearly, however, and I will forward this to our curriculum director with a suggestion to make the wording more clear.
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep