Study and Strategy questions relating to the GMAT.
Deek
Forum Guests

Clarifications on name change after registering for the exam

by Deek Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:50 pm

I scheduled my GMAT with the title Mrs. However we do not have any titles in Passport.So I changed it in my profile in mba.com. however my confirmation mail states my name witha title.

My next clarification is regarding my name.
I do not have a last name. My full name is given against the GIVEN NAME field in passport. But in my GMAT profile I have entered my first name and last name.I have requested the customer service to make the necessary changes.

Will I get a confirmation mail with the changes made? Will it cause any problem?I have 1 month for my exam if I have a title in confirmation mail and do not have one in profile?
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: I was NOT allowed to take the GMAT today !!

by StaceyKoprince Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:41 pm

I don't believe that a title matters, since that can change without someone formally changing their name or passport. (And, as you noted, passports do not show titles.) So this should not matter!

Re: the given name / last name situation, it sounds like you have already done what you needed to do, which was to contact them to make sure that everything is labeled correctly. If you don't hear back within a reasonable amount of time (did you send an email? leave a message?), then try calling whatever number they post on their website. (Or, if there is a phone number on your confirmation, call that.)
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep
KarinaG
Students

by KarinaG Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:37 pm

Hi- I often run into similar issues as my full name is 32 letters long and official IDs often truncate my middle names. I just got off the phone w/a GMAC representative and they advised that First and Last names matching 100% are enough, and middle names are not required. I wanted to share an updated answer from 2017 since this is an old thread :)
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:44 pm

Thanks so much for sharing your experience! I am sure that other students will have the same issue and they will appreciate knowing what you have found out.

Good luck with your studies!
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep
JamieE899
Students

by JamieE899 Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:44 am

StaceyKoprince Wrote:Because passports often don't separate out the middle name from the first name, a lot of test-center employees will let that go. But last names are a different matter: those actually need to match exactly.

Hi Stacey, I have this situation in my passport where it lists my 'Given Name' as both my first and middle names combined but when I registered for GMAT I separated them into first and middle names. Should I give GMAC a call or be worried of this causing an issue?

Thanks.