The smoke has cleared, the test has come and gone. Feel free to share your experiences with your peers.
chrisminter9
Students

ID Mismatched - Not Allowed to Take Test

by chrisminter9 Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:08 pm

I arrived at my local testing center this morning and was not allowed to take the GMAT because of a MINOR discrepancy between how I registered and what's printed on my driver's license.

Ever since I was born, I've been called by my middle name and have always abbreviated my first initial - for example, J. Christopher instead of Jon Christopher. So, since I always register under J. Christopher (and plan to do the same for graduate school), it seems to make sense to me that I would register the same way when enrolling to take the GMAT. But, I was refused entry today because J. didn't match up exactly to Jon, even though the middle name, last name, date of birth, address, etc. were all identical.

I must say, while I can certainly see how I did not follow the instructions exactly, I think this is absolutely ridiculous. I've been studying for the GMAT for months and am ready to have the stress lifted off my shoulders, but now will have to wait even longer.

My question is...does anyone have any idea what I an expect? Will I be able to reschedule the test for another day soon (next week, maybe)? Will I be expected to repay the $250 fee?

Thanks,

JCM
raydwhite
Students

Re: ID Mismatched - Not Allowed to Take Test

by raydwhite Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:20 pm

I think you will have to pay the $250 again. I am not sure about the waiting period since you didn't actually take the exam. FWIW It was put in no uncertain terms that this would happen if your ID didn't match what you supplied to GMAC, why on earth do you think they should make an exception for you and why on earth would you risk breaking the rules for such a big event? Not to sound like your mom, but this raises questions of your judgment.

Ray

chrisminter9 Wrote:I arrived at my local testing center this morning and was not allowed to take the GMAT because of a MINOR discrepancy between how I registered and what's printed on my driver's license.

Ever since I was born, I've been called by my middle name and have always abbreviated my first initial - for example, J. Christopher instead of Jon Christopher. So, since I always register under J. Christopher (and plan to do the same for graduate school), it seems to make sense to me that I would register the same way when enrolling to take the GMAT. But, I was refused entry today because J. didn't match up exactly to Jon, even though the middle name, last name, date of birth, address, etc. were all identical.

I must say, while I can certainly see how I did not follow the instructions exactly, I think this is absolutely ridiculous. I've been studying for the GMAT for months and am ready to have the stress lifted off my shoulders, but now will have to wait even longer.

My question is...does anyone have any idea what I an expect? Will I be able to reschedule the test for another day soon (next week, maybe)? Will I be expected to repay the $250 fee?

Thanks,

JCM
adry619
Forum Guests

Re: ID Mismatched - Not Allowed to Take Test

by adry619 Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:27 pm

Christopher,
Something similar just happened to me this weekend. I showed up Saturday morning to take my exam, when I checked in I showed the lady my Id, which was my driver's license, which I thought it was enough, but then this lady asked me for a passport, I was very surprised, I had it in my purse because I had to file some immigration paper work during that week and had forgotten to put it away, the bad thing was that it was expired, due to some immigration procedures I am not able to get a new passport until December. I explained my situation to this lady but nothing helped, I was not able to take the exam. No where in the two emails I received when I registered said that I was supposed to take a passport as a prove of ID. I only read that you had to take a passport if you were taking the exam outside of the United State. I think it is ridiculous, I even felt discriminated, now I'm gonna miss the deadline for graduate school, which means I have to delay my graduates studies a semester, just because my passport was expired, and my passport had the same exact information, which was my full name and my picture, I mean, what else do they want?

Where you able to get a refund, or at least a wavier for your next exam?

I hope you're situation is not as bad as mine, good luck!