Verbal question you found somewhere else? General issue with idioms or grammar? Random verbal question? These questions belong here.
mww7786

Idioms review

by mww7786 Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:18 pm

Hey folks,

I just wanted to pitch to you the possibility of doing an idioms work shop, or review of some type. In your red book, I learned that most idioms are not interchangeable. Therefore, I think that a lot of us could benefit from a discussion on the criteria, consequence, and structure of various idioms.

I was able to marshall a list of approximately 200-300 idioms. I'm certain that there are likely 300 more. However, I would really appreciate the opportunity to take my list and break it down with someone who has researched or understands the common misusage.

I'd certainly be happy to share my list contained on an excel file. Let me know what you think?

Mark West
Tallahassee, FL 8) :idea:
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:43 pm

That's fantastic, Mark, thanks for your offer!

There are not just hundreds, but thousands (if not tens of thousands) of idioms in the language. I'll definitely pass your suggestion along to our curriculum director, but I think idioms are a bit tough because it's like studying for a vocab test if you don't know what words might be on it. You'd basically have to study the entire dictionary... and then you'd only have a few questions that would address the topic. Unless you get lucky, you can spend a lot of time for low return.

We do have a page of idioms in our SC book - the list includes the most commonly tested idioms, but the test still can (and does) use any number of idioms on the test.

I'm just getting acquainted with our forums myself right now; I'll poke around and see where it might be appropriate for you to upload your file and get back to you. Thanks again!
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep
mww7786

idioms

by mww7786 Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:01 am

Stacy,

Hope things are going your way today. I think it would be useful to take the idioms in the SC book and to (further) break down and explain criteria and consequence.

1. For example: compare with (similarities)
compare to (differences)

2. Did you know that So much . . .as (used only in the negative)

3. "So that" does not mean the same thing as "So as to"

If we focus on the idioms in the SC book, I think that would suffice for now. I think class on idioms could be saved as a link to the website here for a small charge, say $30. I'd really appreciate a kick back on my idea. :)

Do we have anyone who has researched this?

please get Andrew to conside
Mark West
Tallahassee, FL
850-445-5387
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:57 am

I sent this thread link to our curriculum director - though, FYI, he may already have something like this in his big list of things he wants to do, or he may already have explored the possibility and decided not to do it for some reason - I have no idea! But thanks again for the suggestion! :)
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep