Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
Luci

If a drug that is already on the market has the

by Luci Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:20 pm

I have a question with this sentence. Could it be possible an answer such:
the FDA can require ""the drug to undergo"" pediatric study.

I failed this one because I didnt notice it needed the subjuntive in the verb. Problems of being nonative :-)

Thanks
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:47 am

The way you wrote it below is not correct, but the way it is used in the sentence is correct. This is a tough one even for native speakers.

You wrote "require the drug to undergo" - that is requiring the drug to do something, which doesn't quite make sense.

The sentence says "require that the drug undergo pediatric study" - the insertion of the word "that" now means that the entire clause is being required, not that the drug is being required to do something. So the FDA can require that "the drug undergo pediatric study" - read it as the whole clause, not that that drug is being required to do something.

And, yes, as you know now, when you "require" for an entire clause ("require that X"), that clause needs to use the subjunctive. :)
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep

by Guest Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:50 am

Stacey, can you clear one doubt that whether subjunctive mood always uses the base form of the verb or depending on the sentence it can use singular or plural form.

Thanks!
JadranLee
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by JadranLee Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:30 pm

In sentences which describe a suggestion or requirement, the verb in the "that-" clause takes the subjunctive form. In such cases, the subjunctive always consists of the "plain form" of the verb (infinitive minus the word "to"), regardless of whether the subject is singular or plural. For example

He suggested that they order Chianti.
He suggested that she order the fettuccine.

-Jad