Math questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test.
alexander.gundry
Course Students

If ABCD is a trapezoid, where AB is parallel to CD...

by alexander.gundry Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:27 am

Hi. I am having trouble with the problem below. I do not understand why you can't divide both sides by 2 to get the height of AB and CD (the two bases). I thought that the answer to this DS question was C because statement 1 gives you the bases of the trapezoid (Ab + CD = 6) and statement 2 gives you the height of the trapezoid. But, because you can't divide by 2 in statement 1, it only provides you with Ab = CD - AB. (I can't post the picture but it is just a standard trapezoid. The question is called "Trap-ez") Thanks!

If ABCD is a trapezoid, where AB is parallel to CD, what is the area of ABCD?

(1) 2(AB) + CD = 12

(2) The height of the trapezoid is 5 inches
mithunsam
Course Students

Re: If ABCD is a trapezoid, where AB is parallel to CD...

by mithunsam Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:23 pm

Duplicate question... Please refer
http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/if-abcd-is-a-trapezoid-where-ab-is-parallel-to-cd-t13541.html
alexander.gundry Wrote:Hi. I am having trouble with the problem below. I do not understand why you can't divide both sides by 2 to get the height of AB and CD (the two bases). I thought that the answer to this DS question was C because statement 1 gives you the bases of the trapezoid (Ab + CD = 6) and statement 2 gives you the height of the trapezoid. But, because you can't divide by 2 in statement 1, it only provides you with Ab = CD - AB. (I can't post the picture but it is just a standard trapezoid. The question is called "Trap-ez") Thanks!

If ABCD is a trapezoid, where AB is parallel to CD, what is the area of ABCD?

(1) 2(AB) + CD = 12

(2) The height of the trapezoid is 5 inches
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: If ABCD is a trapezoid, where AB is parallel to CD...

by jnelson0612 Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:56 pm

Thanks!
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor