Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
shaan.rizvi
Students

If interest rates remain at their current high levels

by shaan.rizvi Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:06 pm

If interest rates remain at their current high levels, many people who currently rent their residences will hesitate to purchase homes. As the price of real estate continues to climb, the costs of a mortgage will be too burdensome. Sellers will be forced to lower their asking prices. So, high interest rates will eventually cause the real estate market to stabilize.

In the argument above, the portions in boldface play which of the following roles?

A. The first is the author's main point; the second is a prediction that follows from that point.

B. The first is a consideration that the author believes will result in a certain situation; the second is that situation.

C. The first is a consideration that weighs against the author's main point; the second is the author's main point.

D. The first is a prediction; the second is evidence in support of that prediction.

E. The first is the author's main point; the second is evidence used to argue against that point.

OA is B and I think it is wrong.

I don't get it.

If interests remain high, people won't buy homes.

As prices rise, sellers will be forced to lower prices. Cost of mortgages will be too burdensome.

Hence, high interest rates will cause the real estate market to stabilize.

I suppose "stabilize" means people will start buying homes again. How is bold statement 1 what will happen in the situation in statement 2? That implies: When high rates cause the real estate market to stabilize, people will hesitate to purchase homes (even though sellers will be forced to lower their asking prices considering the high mortgages rates). It doesn't make sense to me!
RonPurewal
Students

Re: If interest rates remain at their current high levels

by RonPurewal Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:46 am

here's the problem:
I suppose "stabilize" means people will start buying homes again.

that's not what "stabilize" means, in terms of markets. "stabilize" means that PRICES WILL REACH EQUILIBRIUM (i.e., they will reach a reasonable market price and will cease to rise/fall, at least temporarily).
in the context of this problem, "stabilize" means that the real estate prices will stop rising and will settle.

it is possible, though, that we are requiring too much of readers here. perhaps we should re-word the problem so that it says "real estate prices will stabilize".
i'll submit it for review.
joshmercer80
Forum Guests

by joshmercer80 Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:15 pm

I was also completely perplexed with this problem because in my mind stabilize would mean prices would drop. Bump for getting this question reviewed :)
mschwrtz
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by mschwrtz Thu May 13, 2010 5:17 pm

Good points all, but notice that you could answer the question even given this ambiguity.

If you found the reasoning puzzling, but recognized the roles of the bold phrases, you'd still get this right. Suppose that you noticed the word "if" and "so," and so inferred that the first bold was some sort of premise and that the second bold was something like a conclusion, you'd be fine. Only B and D work for the first blank, and only B and C work for the second blank.

Of course, if you found the reasoning so puzzling that you couldn't recognize the first as evidence or the second as conclusion, then all bets are off.
a.karajgikar
Students

by a.karajgikar Sat May 21, 2011 6:27 am

Apologize to bump the old thread. I came across this problem while attempting CAT.
Moreover,I could narrow down to B and C.
Eventually, I selected C. :(

Could anybody shed some light on details of both the options?
Also, what is the reason that makes 'weighs against' totally wrong?

jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by jnelson0612 Mon May 30, 2011 2:14 pm

If interest rates remain at their current high levels, many people who currently rent their residences will hesitate to purchase homes. As the price of real estate continues to climb, the costs of a mortgage will be too burdensome. Sellers will be forced to lower their asking prices. So, high interest rates will eventually cause the real estate market to stabilize.

B. The first is a consideration that the author believes will result in a certain situation; the second is that situation.

C. The first is a consideration that weighs against the author's main point; the second is the author's main point.

Let's see what's going on here:
1) Interest rates are high--people don't buy houses
AND Real estate prices climb--people can't afford mortgages
2) Because of these two factors, sellers can't sell their houses and have to lower prices
3) As a result, the real estate market stabilizes

If we consider C, the author's main point would be that high interest rates will stabilize the real estate market (nicely tipped off by the "so"). The first bold does not "weigh against" (or weaken) this main point; in fact, it is one of the conditions that helps lead to this main point. Check out how B reflects the roles of these statements in the argument much better.

I hope this helps!
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor
mahakm112
Students

by mahakm112 Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:33 am

I thought answer would be A.Please explain why not a?
what is the conclusion and premise
anniee624
Students

by anniee624 Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:37 am

Hello,instructors!
I met this question in my CAT exam too, after reading your analysis , I still cant fully understand the correct answer C.

I have question about the term : situation.

In my opinion, situation is a kind of context in which the argument builds. I think the second boldface So, high interest rates will eventually cause the real estate market to stabilize. its the conclusion of the argument, the main point of the argument, so it´s not the situation of the argument. So I eliminate C.

Could you please tell me wha exactly the term situation means here?

Thank you so much!!