Math questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test.
Saurabh Malpani

If x is not equal to 0, is |x| less than 1?

by Saurabh Malpani Tue May 08, 2007 11:24 pm

Source: MGMAT question

If x is not equal to 0, is |x| less than 1?

(1) x / |x| < x

(2) |x| > x

Statement 1)

Cross multiply with Mod (x) --it's positive so we can multiply isn't it?
So that tells that x < x* mod(x)

Essentially it's telling us that X is >0

Example: x =2

2<2*2 =4

X= -2
2<-2*2---not possible

Statement 2) mod(x) > x

we can infer that x<0

So both are statements are insufficient.

But the explanation given is:

The question "Is |x| less than 1?" can be rephrased in the following way.

Case 1: If x > 0, then |x| = x. For instance, |5| = 5. So, if x > 0, then the question becomes "Is x less than 1?"

Case 2: If x < 0, then |x| = -x. For instance, |-5| = -(-5) = 5. So, if x < 0, then the question becomes "Is -x less than 1?" This can be written as follows:

-x < 1?
or, by multiplying both sides by -1, we get
x > -1?

Putting these two cases together, we get the fully rephrased question:
"Is -1 < x < 1 (and x not equal to 0)"?

Another way to achieve this rephrasing is to interpret absolute value as distance from zero on the number line. Asking "Is |x| less than 1?" can then be reinterpreted as "Is x less than 1 unit away from zero on the number line?" or "Is -1 < x < 1?" (The fact that x does not equal zero is given in the question stem.)
(1) INSUFFICIENT: If x > 0, this statement tells us that x > x/x or x > 1. If x < 0, this
statement tells us that x > x/-x or x > -1. This is not enough to tell us if -1 < x < 1.

(2) INSUFFICIENT: When x > 0, x > x which is not true (so x < 0). When x < 0, -x > x or
x < 0. Statement (2) simply tells us that x is negative. This is not enough to tell us if -1 < x < 1.

(1) AND (2) SUFFICIENT: If we know x < 0 (statement 2), we know that x > -1 (statement 1). This means that -1 < x < 0. This means that x is definitely between -1 and 1.

The correct answer is C.
GMAT 5/18

by GMAT 5/18 Wed May 09, 2007 12:06 am

Saurabh,

I didn't go through your entire post, but I thought I would shed some light on something I noticed earlier on in your reasoning. This is what you wrote early in your post:

Statement 1)

2<2*2 =4

X= -2
2<-2*2---not possible

I don't agree that Statement I tells us X>0. I think it tells us that -1<X<0 and X>1. For example, you have already proved that x=2 works, but if we use x=1, it doesn't as 1<1*1 is not true. Also, if you try x=-0.25, it works as -1/4<-1/16.
Also, it's a good idea to test the Statements by putting the test numbers back into the original form of the numbers - that way you will know for sure whether the numbers work or don't work (I have caught myself incorrectly rephrasing from time to time). :)

Like I said, I didn't read anymore of your post, but hopefully this helps in you finding the answer!
Saurabh Malpani

by Saurabh Malpani Wed May 09, 2007 10:33 am

Aha!!! ....thanks GMAT 5/18 I think I for the answer!! Great!!!

Thanks fore your help!!!

Saurabh Malpani

GMAT 5/18 Wrote:Saurabh,

I didn't go through your entire post, but I thought I would shed some light on something I noticed earlier on in your reasoning. This is what you wrote early in your post:

Statement 1)

2<2*2 =4

X= -2
2<-2*2---not possible

I don't agree that Statement I tells us X>0. I think it tells us that -1<X<0 and X>1. For example, you have already proved that x=2 works, but if we use x=1, it doesn't as 1<1*1 is not true. Also, if you try x=-0.25, it works as -1/4<-1/16.
Also, it's a good idea to test the Statements by putting the test numbers back into the original form of the numbers - that way you will know for sure whether the numbers work or don't work (I have caught myself incorrectly rephrasing from time to time). :)

Like I said, I didn't read anymore of your post, but hopefully this helps in you finding the answer!
Saurabh Malpani

by Saurabh Malpani Wed May 09, 2007 11:23 am

I forgot to mention in my previous Post that the explanation given by MGMAT for statement 1 concludes that:

1) INSUFFICIENT: If x > 0, this statement tells us that x > x/x or x > 1. If x < 0, this
statement tells us that x > x/-x or x > -1

The bold part is confusing!!! shouldn't it be what GMAT 5/18 suggested!! -1<X<0

Please confirm!

Saurabh Malpani Wrote:Aha!!! ....thanks GMAT 5/18 I think I for the answer!! Great!!!

Thanks fore your help!!!

Saurabh Malpani

GMAT 5/18 Wrote:Saurabh,

Statement 1)

2<2*2 =4

X= -2
2<-2*2---not possible

by Guest Wed May 09, 2007 1:31 pm

I rephrased the question as: is x a fraction (the abs val of a fraction will be < 1)

I think that starting with statement 2 is a litte easier.

#2 says: |x| > x .... so X has to be a negative number, either an integer or fraction, so insufficient alone

#1 says: x < x * |x| therefore, x could be a positive integer (such as 2) or a negative fraction (such as -1/2), so insufficient alone

together it says that x has to be negative, so it could only ne a negative fraction, and therefore the answer is C
dbernst
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by dbernst Wed May 09, 2007 10:44 pm

A great debate! Just the type of discourse we like to see on our forums.

First, I would definitely rephrase the question to Is -1< x <1 (with x not equal to zero)?

Then, start with statement (2) and a BD/ACE grid. Statement 2 simply tells us that x < 0, so clearly this is not sufficient. Eliminate BD.

Statement (1) says x / |x| < x. This is the tricky one. If x > 0, we can simply manipulate by multiplying both sides by x. Thus, we have x^2 > x or x > 1. If x < 0, we can rewrite as x/-x < x; then, we can multiply both sides by -x (the opposite of x, which is a positive value because x <0) to get x < x(-x). Divide both sides by x (don't forget to flip sign since x is a negative value) to get 1 > -x; finally divide both sides by -1 to get x > -1.

To summarize statement (1) says the following: If x is positive, x > 1; If x is negative x > -1. This is insufficient since when x is negative it gives us a "yes" to our original rephrased question, but when x is positive it gives us a "no."

Together, we are only concerned with x as a negative (info from statement (2)). Combine this with statement (1) and we get -1 < x < 0. This is sufficient to definitively answer our question.

The correct answer is C.