Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
rohit.manglik
Students

In 1983, using both ground-penetrating radar equipment

by rohit.manglik Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:03 pm

I got this question in MGMAT Cat 3 today.

In 1983, using both ground-penetrating radar equipment—much of it constructed themselves—as well as clues from the autobiography of film director Cecil B. DeMille, the film enthusiasts Peter Brosnan and John Parker located and unearthed the massive set of DeMille's epic 1923 film The Ten Commandments.

much of it constructed themselves—as well as clues from the autobiography of film director Cecil B. DeMille, the film enthusiasts Peter Brosnan and John Parker

they constructed much of it themselves, and used clues from film director Cecil B. DeMille's autobiography—Peter Brosnan and John Parker, the film enthusiasts,

constructing much of it themselves—and taking clues from film director Cecil B. DeMille's autobiography, Peter Brosnan and John Parker were film enthusiasts who

they constructed much of it themselves, as well as clues from film director Cecil B. DeMille's autobiography—Peter Brosnan and John Parker were film enthusiasts who

much of which they constructed themselves—and clues from the autobiography of film director Cecil B. DeMille, film enthusiasts Peter Brosnan and John Parker

OE: E

I am confused about the construction "much of which they".

As MGMAT sixth edition, page 168-169:

Correct: "..comma some of which WERE..."

Then it's explicitly mentioned that "comma some of which" have a working verb. This construction can be applied to many, each etc..

Also it's mentioned that "comma some of which only.." is wrong.

I am confused with the construction now. Please help.
yo4561
Course Students

Re: In 1983, using both ground-penetrating radar equipment

by yo4561 Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:56 am

I am confused on how "they" can come before the people mentioned. Isn't the rule to never put a pronoun before the antecedent?
esledge
Forum Guests

Re: In 1983, using both ground-penetrating radar equipment

by esledge Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:09 pm

yo4561 Wrote:I am confused on how "they" can come before the people mentioned. Isn't the rule to never put a pronoun before the antecedent?

The "ante-" prefix that means "before" in the word antecedent is misleading. Indeed, the pronoun can come first. On the GMAT, this commonly happens when a pronoun appears in an opening modifier, and the subject of the sentence that follows the comma is both the modified noun and the antecedent of the pronoun:
Although they have been hiking for days, the campers are still enthused about the climb to the summit tomorrow.
Emily Sledge
Instructor
ManhattanGMAT