Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
rustom.hakimiyan
Course Students

In recent years, scholars of psychology have

by rustom.hakimiyan Mon May 26, 2014 8:56 pm

In recent years, scholars of psychology have begun to examine more seriously the notion, first proposed by John Keats, of "negative capability""”the idea that maintaining calmness amid uncertainty and doubt, rather than experiencing an anxious urge to find solutions, is a genuine talent and possibly even a therapeutic tool.

-In recent years, scholars of psychology have begun to examine more seriously the notion, first proposed by John Keats, of "negative capability""”the

-Proposed first by John Keats, the notion of "negative capability," which scholars of psychology began to examine more seriously in recent years: this is the

-The notion of "negative capability," which John Keats first proposed and scholars of psychology recently began to take more seriously"”the

-Proposed first by John Keats, and recently scholars of psychology began to take it more seriously, the notion of "negative capability" is the

-First proposed by John Keats, scholars of psychology have recently begun to take the notion of "negative capability" more seriously; this is the

=====

Saw this question on the GMAT CAT:

I have a couple of questions regarding OG's explanation:

- In A, the "have begun" threw me off. Isn't have supposed to be paired up with "began"?
- In B, why can't "proposed" be the verb in this sentence? And if not "proposed", why can't we assume that "scholars of psychology" is the subject "began" is the verb?
- Does everything before the "dash" need to be an independent clause? I was under the impression that it can be a modifier type of setting as long as there is a full independent clause after the dash?

Thanks!
RonPurewal
Students

Re: In recent years, scholars of psychology have

by RonPurewal Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:26 am

You mentioned GMAT CAT, but then "OG's explanation". What's the source?

Thanks.
LiyaM78
Course Students

by LiyaM78 Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:03 am

I had the same question whether the use of dash requires independent clauses? This question in on the Manhattan Prep CAT.

Thanks!
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:37 am

A dash can substitute for almost any piece of punctuation, if its purpose is emphasis. It can also perform a few functions that no other piece of punctuation can perform.

It does not require any particular grammatical setup.