Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
Samy

In some species of Cricket, the number of chirps per minute

by Samy Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:29 am

In some species of Cricket, the number of chirps per minute used by the male for attracting females rise and fall in accordance with the surrounding temperature, and they can infact serve as an approximate thermometer

1. Same
2. for attracting females rises and falls in accordance with the surrounding temperature, which can infact serve
3. in attracting females rise and fall in accordance with the surrounding temperature, infact possibly serving
4. to attract females rises and falls in accordance with the surrounding temperature, and it can infact serve
5. to attract females rises and falls in accordance with the surrounding temperature, infact possibly serving

The ans is between D and E.
Please explain why.. :evil: [/url]
givemeanid

by givemeanid Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:31 am

And is used to join two independent clauses, not a clause and its modifier. Also 'it' doesn't seem to refer to anything particular in D.
E is correct.
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:02 pm

"It can in fact serve as an approximate thermometer" is also an independent clause - it can stand alone as a sentence. Also, "it" refers to the number of chirps per minute, which is appropriately singular.

I like D better here. E introduces the word "possibly" which has a different meaning than "it can serve." The "it can" means it is, really, while "possibly" means it might. Not the same thing. And the original sentence uses "can" so I want to preserve the meaning.

Also the construction "in fact possibly serving" is awkward.
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep

by Guest Fri May 23, 2008 3:24 am

skoprince Wrote:"It can in fact serve as an approximate thermometer" is also an independent clause - it can stand alone as a sentence. Also, "it" refers to the number of chirps per minute, which is appropriately singular.

I like D better here. E introduces the word "possibly" which has a different meaning than "it can serve." The "it can" means it is, really, while "possibly" means it might. Not the same thing. And the original sentence uses "can" so I want to preserve the meaning.

hi stacey
i think E is better here. because the number of chirps per minute itself does not act as thermometer. The action of its rise and fall in accordance with the surrounding temperature serves as thermometer. please comment whether i m wrong
rfernandez
Course Students

by rfernandez Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:09 am

Guest, if I understand you correctly, you're saying that "in fact possibly serving..." introduces an adverbial modifier that modifies the entire preceding clause. As Stacey points out though, "in fact possibly serving" is awkward; It would be better if it simply said "possibly serving."

In defense of D, I would argue that it's OK for the number of chirps per minute to serve as a thermometer, not unlike how expanding mercury in a glass tube serves as a thermometer.
H

by H Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:56 pm

Just a side question, is there any difference between "according to" and "in accordance with"?
Are they interchangeable?
Thanks in advance.

by Guest Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:50 pm

What is the OA?
jwinawer
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by jwinawer Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:42 pm

I agree with Stacey. But, Samy, please post the OA and the source.
gmattaker

by gmattaker Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:55 am

skoprince Wrote:"It can in fact serve as an approximate thermometer" is also an independent clause - it can stand alone as a sentence. Also, "it" refers to the number of chirps per minute, which is appropriately singular.

CAn someone plz. explain how we can say "it" refers to "number of chirps" and not "thermometer".
"it" is singular and noth "number of chirps" and "thermometer" are singular and using both of them makes sense, so why "number of chirps" and not "thermometer"
gmattaker

by gmattaker Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:08 am

Can someone plz. clear my problem.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:50 am

gmattaker Wrote:Can someone plz. clear my problem.

can't refer to "thermometer" because "thermometer" appears later in the same clause.

analogy:
he threw the ball to steve.
here, we don't know who "he" is, but we know that "he" is definitely not steve.

make sense?
H

by H Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:47 am

Just a side question, is there any difference between "according to" and "in accordance with"?
Thanks in advance.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:29 am

H Wrote:Just a side question, is there any difference between "according to" and "in accordance with"?
Thanks in advance.

according to can also be used to attribute a quote or saying:
according to cyril connolly, lazy people often find it difficult to stop working once they've started.
you can't do that with "in accordance with".

in accordance with can be used to show that some phenomenon is consistent with some principle: in accordance with the principles of classical liberalism, the debate moderators allowed the expression of all points of view, from the mundane to the absurd.
you can't do that with "according to".

there may be others, but that's what i get off the top of my head.
zijing4546
Forum Guests

Re: In some species of Cricket, the number of chirps per minute

by zijing4546 Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:08 am

Hi guys, why can't "it" refer to "temperature"?
JonathanSchneider
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: In some species of Cricket, the number of chirps per minute

by JonathanSchneider Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:56 pm

"It" is used as a subject pronoun, and so it most logically connects to the subject of the previous clause. This is "clear enough." In general, don't go nuts with your pronoun-clarity rules; if something really seems perfectly clear to you, let it be. (Huge caveat here: you need to develop a sense of when things are really clear, and reviewing problems that you get incorrect will help you to build that up over time.)