Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
givemeanid

In the past decade, rapid technological progress

by givemeanid Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:35 pm

In the past decade, rapid technological progress and a greater demand for high-quality digital imaging have led to dramatic advances in video display technology. The dominant technology currently used in most consumer product displays is the active matrix liquid crystal diode display(LCD).

LCDs apply thin-film transistors (TFTs) of amorphous or polycrystalline silicon sandwiched between two glass plates. The TFTs supply voltage to liquid-crystal-filled cells, or pixels, between the sheets of glass. When hit with an electric charge, the liquid crystals untwist to an exact degree to filter white light generated by a lamp. This filtered light shines directly on the viewing screen or, in the case of projection televisions, is projected through a small chip that acts as a lens. LCDs that are capable of producing color images, such as in televisions and computers, reproduce colors through a process of subtraction, blocking out particular color wavelengths from the spectrum of white light until only the desired color remains. It is the variation of the intensity of light permitted to pass through the matrix of liquid crystals that enables LCD displays to present images full of gradations of different colors.

The nature and functioning of LCD displays present many advantages relative to other display technologies. The amount of power required to untwist the crystals to display images, even dark ones, is much lower than that required for analogous processes using other technologies, such as plasma. The dense array of crystals displays images from computer or other video graphics sources extremely well, with full color detail, no flicker, and no screen burn-in. Moreover, the number of pixels per square inch on an LCD display is typically higher than that for other display technologies, so LCD monitors are particularly good at displaying large amounts of data with exceptional clarity and precision. As a result, LCD TVs are considered the best display platform for video games, high definition television, movie special effects, and other graphics-intensive uses.

Q. The process through which an LCD monitor displays different colors is most closely analogous to

A. an hourglass partially blocked such that a limited stream of grains of sand fall into the lower portion
B. a series of filters that separate all of the components of a mixture according to size
C. a recording studio soundproofed so that any performances within are muted to those outside
D. a piece of construction paper with outlines of characters cut out such that a lamp in front of the paper casts shadows in the shapes of the characters
E. an air vent that emits warmer air outside of a building while an air conditioning system cools the interior of the building

D is the correct answer. The explanation to reject B is: A series of filters that separate out all of the elements of a mixture is not analogous to filtering out only certain elements and letting others "pass through" to together create the end result.

However, according the choice, the series of filters separate according to size. That, to me, does not necessarily mean ALL elements are filtered. Can somebody shed some light on this?
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:47 pm

I sure can. Our system tagged this question as not sufficiently discriminating b/c too many people in the "top" scoring buckets (and who are therefore expected to get this one right at higher rates) have been choosing B for the reasons you described. I actually re-wrote this one myself yesterday - I changed some other things, too, but specifically I completely changed answer choice B. So don't worry about it - in fact, feel good that you fall into that category of people who are smart enough to know that this one is a little too close for comfort! :)

It'll probably take a week or two for the new version to clear the review process and get into the database, for anyone else who happens to see it during that time.
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep
givemeanid

by givemeanid Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:07 am

::wipes sweat profusely::

Thanks a lot Stacey. I do feel good after reading your reply.
anadi

What if

by anadi Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:40 pm

someone got it right first time without any confusion. Is that ok?

by Guest Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:43 am

I think the reason to reject B is that blocking of the larger particles will not have any impact on the end result. The end result for example may be a shape you get from the particles or anything else.

As in D the shape of the paper cut ( blocking out light) will obviously directly affect the shadow.

hope that helps..
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:29 am

You're fine if you got it right, you're fine if you didn't get it right (and, specifically, if you got it wrong by choosing B). Overall, actually, don't rate how you're doing based on this question since it failed our discrimination analysis and will be changed accordingly!
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep
gmatprep14
Students

Re: In the past decade, rapid technological progress

by gmatprep14 Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:56 am

The question is still there . I faced it in my first MGMAT .
christiancryan
Course Students

by christiancryan Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:44 pm

We've taken this question out of the CAT pool for rehab. Many apologies for the fact that it was still showing up. We're implementing changes to our CAT updating process so that issues such as this one, once identified, do not slip any more through the cracks.
singh.anju29
Students

by singh.anju29 Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:46 am

Dear Sir/Madam,
In the below question :
3. The passage indicates that each of the following may
be considered an advantage of LCD displays relative
to other display technologies EXCEPT
1. they consume less power
2. they generally have more pixels per square inch of
the display
3. they are able to display continuous video graphics
images with no interruption
4. they reflect a widely adopted standard
5. they represent the latest, most advanced technology

I can't find why choice 4 is correct and choice 5 is wrong ,though choice 5 has little strong word 'most' but choice 4 doesn't reflect in the passage.

The explanation given why choice 4 is correct :-
The second sentence of the first paragraph reads, “The dominant technology currently used in most consumer product displays is the active matrix liquid crystal diode display (LCD).” The passage indicates that the technology is a widely adopted
standard, which would logically have certain advantages (e.g. the technology has been widely tested and is known to work).

The explanation is assuming here since the technology is dominant and widely used ,it is based on widely adopted standard.what does 'standard' signify here?

Plz explain.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:51 am

I can't find why choice 4 is correct and choice 5 is wrong ,though choice 5 has little strong word 'most' but choice 4 doesn't reflect in the passage.

the problem with the last choice goes way beyond 'a little word'.

there is nothing in the passage-- nothing at all-- to justify the idea that the LCD technology is the "latest" (= newest). nor is there anything to suggest that it's the "most advanced".

(moreover, the fact that it has already been widely adopted by consumers suggests that it probably isn't the most advanced technology; any technology that's currently on the market is usually a few steps behind innovative new stuff.)
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:51 am

in choice (d), "standard" means the same thing as "paradigm", "template", "type", "archetype", "model", etc.

even if you're not familiar with this usage of "standard", though, you should still be able to discriminate correctly between choices (d) and (e), since "widely adopted" is clearly well justified while there is absolutely zero evidence for either "latest" or "most advanced".