Math questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test.
poojakrishnamurthy1

In the rectangular coordinate system, lines m and n cross at

by poojakrishnamurthy1 Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:52 am

Hi,

Got this question in CAT 5.

In the rectangular coordinate system, lines m and n cross at the origin. Is line m perpendicular to line n?

(1) m has a slope of -1 and n passes through the point (-a, -a).

(2) If the slope of m is x and the slope of n is y, then -xy = 1.

Doubt-
The Original Answer is D but my answer is B. The explanation given by Manhattan is -

(1) SUFFICIENT: Because we know the lines pass through the origin, we can figure out if the slopes are negative reciprocals of each other. The slope of m is -1 so if the slope of n is 1 (-1/-1) then we know the lines are perpendicular and the angle between them is 90°. Because we know two points for line n, (0, 0) and (-a, -a), we can calculate the slope:

0 - (-a)
--------- = 1
0 - (-a)

Thus the lines are perpendicular and the angle between them is 90°.

However, choice A fails to take into account that a=0, in which case (a,a) and (-a,-a) equal (0,0) and so lines M and N may NOT necessarily be perpendicular.

I ask the Manhattan GMAT CAT Quant faculty to please amend the problem and mention that a is a non-zero number.

by Guest Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:45 am

Thats very insightful and displays great clarity of purpose on your part. Although I think its clear that if it has already been mentioned that the lines pass through origin. And the new points are additional point the lines pass through. Dont think of a as a variable, think of it as a constant. This is a regular convention in Coordinate geometry.
shaji

Interesting Argument!!!

by shaji Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:48 pm

a can't be 0;0/0 is indeterminate. Further; -0 is +0 are nonexistant.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:44 am

the original poster is correct: if it's not explicitly stated that a is nonzero, statement (1) allows for the possibility that (-a, -a) = (0, 0), meaning that line n can go in whatever direction its little heart desires.

we will fix this problem.
thank you.
JK

by JK Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:46 pm

GOOD MAN RON, GOOD MAN
nathanhbaldwin
Students

Re: In the rectangular coordinate system, lines m and n cross at

by nathanhbaldwin Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:29 pm

Could anybody help me understand why we assume the line has to follow the y=mx+b pattern? I thought the answer was B because in A, the line could not be straight. Thanks for the help.
tim
Course Students

Re: In the rectangular coordinate system, lines m and n cross at

by tim Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:39 pm

every line is straight, and every line can be expressed in terms of y=mx+b. these are just things that are fundamentally true of lines..
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html