Math problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
pushkalk
Students

Re: In the sequence of positive number x1, x2, x3,. . . what is

by pushkalk Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:17 am

My approach (I am using x1 instead of x sub1)

From statement 1 we have x2=x1/2. This means each term is 1/2 the previous term for all terms after 1(i>1).

Therefore:
x3=x1/4
x4=x1/8...................(eq-1)
x5=x1/16.................(eq-2)

thus the first 5 terms of the sequence are :
x1+(x1/2)+(x1/4)+(x1/8)+(x1/16)

Not putting values of x4 and x5 obtained above, in the statement 2 gives us a linear equation in 1 varianble.

hence C.
tim
Course Students

by tim Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:49 pm

looks good to me..
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
rustom.hakimiyan
Course Students

by rustom.hakimiyan Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:16 pm

I tried to do this by plugging in numbers and after 3+ minutes, I chose "Neither Suff" b/c I wasn't seeing any trends.

A and B are both insufficient because we don't have a starting point. When I combined, I still didn't see a starting point and went through the calculations only to realize that I STILL didn't have a starting point.

In retrospect, if I was to plug in numbers, what would be the better approach? Should I pick a number for say X5 and work backwards on both A and B or does picking numbers in this problem fail? It seemed to me that I could get MULTIPLE values since I could assign ANY value to X5 etc.?
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:04 pm

First off"”"”Please be sure to refer to the statements as (1) and (2). (A and B are answer choices; not quite the same.)

rustom.hakimiyan Wrote:A and B are both insufficient because we don't have a starting point.

Basically yes.

More specifically:
In (1), you have a relationship, but no specific numerical values.
In (1), if you have ANY value in the sequence, you'll be able to find EVERY value in the sequence"”"”just divide by 2 to move forward, or multiply by 2 to move backward.
But you don't have any such value yet.

In (2), you have a relationship between the fourth and fifth values, but no information whatsoever about any of the others. You also can't generalize this relationship, because these are specifically the fourth and fifth values, not the "n - 1" and "n" values.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:04 pm

When I combined, I still didn't see a starting point and went through the calculations only to realize that I STILL didn't have a starting point.

This, you should re-visit.

Statement (2) gives a relationship between the fourth and fifth values.
Statement (1) gives another relationship between the fourth and fifth values (namely, the fifth value is half the fourth one).

You can combine these relationships algebraically. Try it. Once you have a number, statement (1) will give you every other number in the whole sequence.

In retrospect, if I was to plug in numbers, what would be the better approach? Should I pick a number for say X5 and work backwards on both A and B or does picking numbers in this problem fail? It seemed to me that I could get MULTIPLE values since I could assign ANY value to X5 etc.?

You can't pick numbers for the combined statements, because ...
... there's no clear way to pick values that satisfy both of them at the same time,
... any values you pick will be wrong, except the one pair of values that actually satisfies both statements. (If there's actually a correct value for something, you can't pick random values for it.)
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:07 pm

Final thought: Maybe the problem is that you didn't make this realization (boldface):

RonPurewal Wrote:In (1), if you have ANY value in the sequence, you'll be able to find EVERY value in the sequence"”"”just divide by 2 to move forward, or multiply by 2 to move backward.

You want to make sure that you understand what the whole "n - 1"/"n" index notation means.
You should think of these as, respectively, "previous value" and "current value", or else as "current value" and "next value". This relationship allows you to move forward a step or to move back a step in the sequence.

E.g., let's say that a certain job involves a 3% pay raise every year.
Then you can write "X sub n = 1.03(X sub n-1)", and that expresses the relationship for all years.