Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
davetzulin
Forum Guests

In their latest press release, the company's new management

by davetzulin Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:18 pm

In their latest press release, the company's new management stated a plan for expansion of its operations into the global software market via a series of acquisitions in Asia and Latin America.

(a) the company's new management stated a plan for expansion of its operations

(b) the new company's management stated that they planned on expanding its operations

(c) the company's new managers stated their plan to expand its operations

(d) the new company managers stated their plan for its operations, expanding

(e) the company's new management stated that they planned to expand its operations

OA = C

what does "its" refer to in C? the press release? the plan? nether antecedent makes sense to me.
tim
Course Students

Re: In their latest press release, the company's new management

by tim Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:32 am

those shouldn't make sense. :) the correct antecedent for "its" is "the company's"..
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
davetzulin
Forum Guests

by davetzulin Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:55 pm

tim Wrote:those shouldn't make sense. :) the correct antecedent for "its" is "the company's"..

thanks Tim, I also think it should be company, but company is in the possessive case. so my understanding is it's not a noun, but an adjective.

all the problems have this usage.. could this be a case of the "best" answer
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by jnelson0612 Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:09 pm

davetzulin Wrote:
tim Wrote:those shouldn't make sense. :) the correct antecedent for "its" is "the company's"..

thanks Tim, I also think it should be company, but company is in the possessive case. so my understanding is it's not a noun, but an adjective.

Hi Dave,
"its" is actually a possessive pronoun which in this case is referring to the possessive "the company's". A similar example would be "Jane's red dress and her green shoes make up a colorful outfit" with "her" referring to "Jane's". Hope this helps!
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor
vagarwal7
Forum Guests

by vagarwal7 Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:48 pm

why not A? is there an idiom test here
tim
Course Students

by tim Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:59 am

No. In A, there is no antecedent for "their" at the beginning of the sentence..
Tim Sanders

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
GMATDESTROYER
Students

by GMATDESTROYER Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:37 pm

What are the other possessive pronouns like "its" that can refer to the possessive ?

Hope I will get an answer before my GMAT Testm which is on 27th July :)

jnelson0612 Wrote:
davetzulin Wrote:

Hi Dave,
"its" is actually a possessive pronoun which in this case is referring to the possessive "the company's". A similar example would be "Jane's red dress and her green shoes make up a colorful outfit" with "her" referring to "Jane's". Hope this helps!
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by jnelson0612 Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:46 am

Sorry rich! I hope that your test went well. The other possessive pronoun that comes to mind is "their", which is used for plural possessives.

"John and Tim are excellent engineers and their final project won first place at the competition." In this case "their" refers to John and Tim.

"its" and "their" are part of the five deadly pronouns: IT, ITS, THEY, THEM, and THEIR. When you see them check to see that they are being used correctly!
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor
shaunzsdfk
Forum Guests

by shaunzsdfk Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:11 am

GMATDESTROYER Wrote:"its" is actually a possessive pronoun which in this case is referring to the possessive "the company's". A similar example would be "Jane's red dress and her green shoes make up a colorful outfit" with "her" referring to "Jane's". Hope this helps!

Are you sure?Is that green could match the red?
tim
Course Students

by tim Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:17 am

No one said anything about the outfit matching, just that it's colorful! :)
Tim Sanders

Jwan622
Students

by Jwan622 Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:40 pm

The antecedent can't be the possessive form right?

In choice C, "its" refers back to "company's" which is in the possessive form. So, isn't this a problem?
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:20 am

Jwan622 Wrote:The antecedent can't be the possessive form right?

In choice C, "its" refers back to "company's" which is in the possessive form. So, isn't this a problem?

No.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:22 am

You should erase any trace of that "rule" from your brain. Basically, pretend you've never even seen it.
It's not a thing.

(Also, you must have outdated versions of the strategy guides; this useless "rule" has been purged from the current ones. I will apologize on the company's behalf for ever including it in previous editions, especially with the weird emphasis that it was given in the second and third editions. Ugh.)

Full explanation here:
post46683.html#p46683
GiriP318
Students

by GiriP318 Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:00 am

Is there an example of above concept - possessive pronoun referring to possessive nouns - being tested in any of the Official materials?

Appreciate your efforts in advance!
ShivaniS604
Course Students

by ShivaniS604 Tue May 01, 2018 12:38 pm

Hi,
We can cancel D because there is no antecedent for 'its' in D. I have a question about the collective noun 'management' here.
In options A, B, and E, the antecedent for 'their' is 'management' which is a COLLECTIVE NOUN. Now, we know that in American english collective nouns are singular and in British english they are plural. In GMAT however, we should expect an indicator in the non-underlined part to tell us whether the given collective is singular or plural. But in this question we do not have any indicator. SO all the 3 options seem correct to me. I would prefer C but still the others are not incorrect in my view. How to decide in such a problem on GMAT?