Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
sonu_gmat

In their most recent press release

by sonu_gmat Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:44 pm

In their most recent press release, the new management stated that they plan to expand into the global software market via a series of acquisitions in Asia and Latin America.
A)their most recent press release, the new management stated that they plan to expand
B)its most recent press release, the new management stated that they plan to expand
C)its most recent press release, the new management stated that it plans on expanding
D)its most recent press release, the new management stated an intention to expand
D)its most recent press release, the new management stated their intention to expand

Here OA is given as D.

But should not 'intention' in D be followed by preposition. I remember One of Ron's posts clearly said 'intention to' is always wrong and it should be 'intention of'. Even though C is also not idiomatic I chose C because of the above reason.

This is really becoming confusing to me.
zoefly0927
Students

Re: In their most recent press release

by zoefly0927 Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:19 am

I think either 'intension to do' or 'intension of doing' is correct, as Longman has examples of both usages.

But I do think that the usage of 'plan on doing' is a correct usage. I can clearly remember that there is one question in GMAT PREP that choose the answer with 'plan on doing'.

Please advise.

Zoe
RonPurewal
Students

Re: In their most recent press release

by RonPurewal Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:19 pm

zoefly0927 Wrote:I think either 'intension to do' or 'intension of doing' is correct, as Longman has examples of both usages.

on at least one question, GMAC has clearly indicated that "intention of VERBing" is inferior to "intention to VERB". i can't remember the exact question, but i know that there was one.

longman, etc. are ok as ROUGH guides, but you should not take their word as gospel, esp. for contentious matters of word usage. i.e., just because longman says something, you can't be 100% sure that GMAC will agree.
there are a few such authorities on english usage, and they clash on a number of items.
at the end of the day, only GMAC's opinion matters.

But I do think that the usage of 'plan on doing' is a correct usage. I can clearly remember that there is one question in GMAT PREP that choose the answer with 'plan on doing'.

really?

could you find that question?

i recall seeing precisely the opposite (i.e., plan on VERBing = substandard while plan to VERB = standard), although it's been a long time.