Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
ashish.jere
Students

including/some of which were

by ashish.jere Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:48 am

United States Senator Daniel Inouye was appointed to several posts within the Democratic party during his first term, that included assistant majority whip and vice-chair of the Democratic Senatorial Committee.

A. that included

B. which includes

C. including

D. some of which were

E. among them being

ron,
i chose the right and switched.aah!

could you please tell me why a, b, d, e are wrong?

i switched from c to d.
kevinluocw
Forum Guests

Re: including/some of which were

by kevinluocw Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:17 am

Please somebody explain what's wrong with D, it seems to me more appropriate. in S-V agreement and clearly refer back to 'posts'
mangipudi
Course Students

by mangipudi Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:38 pm

Some of which were assistant majority whip and vice-chair of the Democratic Senatorial Committee.

This makes it an independent clause which needs to be joined with the first independent clause by a conjunction or ';'. Hence not acceptable.

editor: this is incorrect. this clause still uses the relative pronoun "which", and so is still a relative clause.
any constructions based on "which" - including to which, from which, some of which, etc. - must be used in exactly the same way as "which" itself.
-- ron
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:54 am

this is sloppy writing.
are you sure this is an OFFICIAL problem?

* first of all, "during his first term" should be placed in front of the sentence (with a comma afterward) for the sake of clarity.
placed where it is, it destroys the clarity of any modifier, even the ostensibly correct answer.

* second, the posts mentioned aren't "posts within the Democratic party"; they're posts in the Senate itself.
this is a BIG mistake, and is not the sort of mistake that would be committed by the official problem writers. no way.

--

(a), (b), and (e) are clearly wrong.
i will withhold judgment on (c) and (d) until you tell me where you got the problem.

i will also provide EXTREMELY terse explanations of those three wrong answers. if you want more details, tell me where you got this problem, because i sincerely doubt that it's official.

(a)
can't have "that" after comma

(b)
"which" incorrectly applies to "first term"

(e)
ridiculous
horrible
awful
ashish.jere
Students

by ashish.jere Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:21 pm

RonPurewal Wrote:this is sloppy writing.

* first of all, "during his first term" should be placed in front of the sentence (with a comma afterward) for the sake of clarity.
placed where it is, it destroys the clarity of any modifier, even the ostensibly correct answer.

* second, the posts mentioned aren't "posts within the Democratic party"; they're posts in the Senate itself.
this is a BIG mistake, and is not the sort of mistake that would be committed by the official problem writers. no way.

--

i will withhold judgment on (c) and (d) until you tell me where you got the problem.

i will also provide EXTREMELY terse explanations of those three wrong answers. if you want more details, tell me where you got this problem, because i sincerely doubt that it's official.

(a)

(b)

(e)
ridiculous
horrible
awful

This is a GPREP problem, Ron. You can trust me.
(I 've re-run the CD,so I can't produce the proof).
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:04 am

(d) is incorrect because it misuses a "which" construction.

all constructions built on preposition + "which" - such as of which, from which, some of which, with which, etc. - must be used in the same way as "which" itself.

in this case, the "which" is trying to refer to "several posts", which is way too far away from the comma to be acceptable.

if this is really a gmat problem, then the quality of those problems is declining at an alarming rate (or the problem writers were asleep, drunk, etc. when they wrote this problem ... ugh)
ashish.jere
Students

by ashish.jere Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:46 am

Thanks for trusting and giving the tip. Indeed, it IS a gprep problem.
As you have mentioned, the answer is (C).

RonPurewal Wrote:(d) is incorrect because it misuses a "which" construction.

all constructions built on preposition + "which" - such as of which, from which, some of which, with which, etc. - must be used in the same way as "which" itself.

in this case, the "which" is trying to refer to "several posts", which is way too far away from the comma to be acceptable.

if this is really a gmat problem, then the quality of those problems is declining at an alarming rate (or the problem writers were asleep, drunk, etc. when they wrote this problem ... ugh)
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:45 am

ashish.jere Wrote:Thanks for trusting and giving the tip. Indeed, it IS a gprep problem.
As you have mentioned, the answer is (C).

ugh.

horrible.

thanks.
hiphopdidi7623
Students

by hiphopdidi7623 Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:32 am

RonPurewal Wrote:this is sloppy writing.

--

(a)

(b)

(e)
ridiculous
horrible
awful

excuse me, 2 questions plz
Ron, at my post, u've proved me the view that the structure "N of N" and its usage of relative clause. (u tolded me that the usage of verb of relative nouns "which/that" depends on the meaning of the reltive clause) Is that application also similar to this prep problem?(DI was appointed to several posts within the D during his first term, whic includes.....) I wonder whether the usage of "withn" and "during" is similar to the usage of "of".

If possible, does "which include (plural)" clearly indicate to the several posts(plural)??

the meaning is clear in the latter modifier clause, so can we identify that the clause directly modify "several posts"?

I come with a idea of JUMP to think the usage of modifiers.

badly illustrated, I hope for your instruction. thx
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:52 pm

hiphopdidi7623 Wrote:If possible, does "which include (plural)" clearly indicate to the several posts(plural)??

can't say.

i've seen official examples in which "which" refers to NOUN1 in the construction NOUN1 + PREP + NOUN2, but i've never seen "which" referring to NOUN1 in the construction NOUN1 + PREP + NOUN2 + PREP + NOUN3.
this is not to say that it would be wrong -- there's just zero evidence in either direction, from what i can find.

i would bet a large sum of money that you will not face this issue on the official test.

the meaning is clear in the latter modifier clause, so can we identify that the clause directly modify "several posts"?

which modifier clause? the one in the correct answer?
hiphopdidi7623
Students

by hiphopdidi7623 Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:53 am

which modifier clause? the one in the correct answer?[/quote]

yes, the participle clause (including....).
Can we just find out the meaning of such participle clause to identify which objects (several posts) is modified? (at first glance, is that deduction make sense prior to picking out any choices?)

I can only express awkward sentence to make you clearly understand.
very sorry for my poor illustration
regards
ChrisB
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by ChrisB Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:57 pm

Hi,

First off, I want to say that I agree with Ron that this problem is just terrible. It's awful. I saw it first hand with a private student two months ago and we moved very quickly through it eliminating all but C, but I *hated* picking C.

To answer your question, we can in fact deduce that the phrase that begins with ", including" modifies the clause prior and "including" directly relates to the several posts that the senator held during his term. That is because ", including" begins an adverbial modifier and these types of modifiers can provide additional information on entire clauses. Though "including" and "several posts" match up nicely, their relationship doesn't define the entire modifier relationship. You may be tempted to force a relationship between "several posts" and the options in the answer choices because most of those answer choices are noun modifiers such as "which," "that," etc. Noun modifiers need to touch the noun they modify but adverbial modifiers are more nimble. For this reason, including works.

In the future, I'd approach this problem the same way I did the first time; knock out A and B quickly due to misplace noun modifier, then E for "being," and kill of D due to noun modifier issue again. C stinks but it's correct grammatically!

Thanks,
Chris
Chris Brusznicki
MGMAT Instructor
Chicago, IL
kvitkod
Students

by kvitkod Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:36 am

Chris,
As I understand, adverbial modifier modifies ACTION or entire clause, but not NOUN. If it is right, how "including" relates to "the several posts"?
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by jnelson0612 Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:51 pm

kvitkod Wrote:Chris,
As I understand, adverbial modifier modifies ACTION or entire clause, but not NOUN. If it is right, how "including" relates to "the several posts"?

"including" is modifying the prior clause which includes "the several posts". Again, this question stinks but C is the only answer choice that is even tolerable.
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor
ray.30
Forum Guests

by ray.30 Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:32 pm

ChrisB Wrote:Hi,

First off, I want to say that I agree with Ron that this problem is just terrible. It's awful. I saw it first hand with a private student two months ago and we moved very quickly through it eliminating all but C, but I *hated* picking C.

To answer your question, we can in fact deduce that the phrase that begins with ", including" modifies the clause prior and "including" directly relates to the several posts that the senator held during his term. That is because ", including" begins an adverbial modifier and these types of modifiers can provide additional information on entire clauses. Though "including" and "several posts" match up nicely, their relationship doesn't define the entire modifier relationship. You may be tempted to force a relationship between "several posts" and the options in the answer choices because most of those answer choices are noun modifiers such as "which," "that," etc. Noun modifiers need to touch the noun they modify but adverbial modifiers are more nimble. For this reason, including works.

In the future, I'd approach this problem the same way I did the first time; knock out A and B quickly due to misplace noun modifier, then E for "being," and kill of D due to noun modifier issue again. C stinks but it's correct grammatically!

Thanks,
Chris

Thanks Chris, now elimination of "D" makes sense. Also Ron's class (Thursdays with Ron) helped me in understanding the use of "including".
You guys are the best!