Verbal question you found somewhere else? General issue with idioms or grammar? Random verbal question? These questions belong here.
MdAbuAsad
Course Students

Indoor air pollution can threaten the health of closely conf

by MdAbuAsad Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:36 am

Indoor air pollution can threaten the health of closely confined farm animals and the workers who tend them and perhaps as well impairs the quality of such farm products like eggs, poultry, and pork.

(A) perhaps as well impairs the quality of such farm products like
(B) perhaps as well impairs the quality of such farm products as
(C) perhaps also impairs the quality of such farm products like
(D) may also impair the quality of such farm products like
(E) may also impair the quality of such farm products as
“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
MdAbuAsad
Course Students

Re: Indoor air pollution can threaten the health of closely conf

by MdAbuAsad Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:40 am

MdAbuAsad Wrote:Indoor air pollution can threaten the health of closely confined farm animals and the workers who tend them and perhaps as well impairs the quality of such farm products like eggs, poultry, and pork.

Indoor air pollution can threaten the health of closely confined farm animals and the workers who tend them and may also impair the quality of such farm products as eggs, poultry, and pork..
if we don't use a COMMA before last AND this part misguide us, isn't it? Does GMAT do it intentionally?
what if the part is something like below?
Indoor air pollution can threaten the health of closely confined farm animals and the workers who tend them ,and may also impair the quality of such farm products as eggs, poultry, and pork.
“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”
Whit Garner
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by Whit Garner Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:57 pm

Hi MdAbuAsad!

I can see how this might feel confusing, but there are very specific rules about when we do and don't use a comma before an "and." In fact, there are only three occasions for using the period.

1) A 3-(or more)-Item List: My sister loves to bake cakes, cookies, and pies.

2) A modifier interjected in a two item list: My sister loves to bake cakes, particularly for weddings, and pies.

3) A coordinating conjunction connecting two independent clauses: My sister loves to bake cakes, and she has been selling them successfully for years.

Notice that in the example sentence you provided, the latter and ("and perhaps as well impairs") isn't before the third item in a list, doesn't have a modifier in front of it, and isn't followed by a complete sentence. Therefore, you do not use a comma before that and.

Hope this helps!
:)
Whit
"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." - George Bernard Shaw
MdAbuAsad
Course Students

by MdAbuAsad Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:36 pm

MdAbuAsad Wrote:
MdAbuAsad Wrote:Indoor air pollution can threaten the health of closely confined farm animals and the workers who tend them and perhaps as well impairs the quality of such farm products like eggs, poultry, and pork.

Indoor air pollution can threaten the health of closely confined farm animals and the workers who tend them and may also impair the quality of such farm products as eggs, poultry, and pork..
if we don't use a COMMA before last AND this part misguide us, isn't it? Does GMAT do it intentionally?
what if the part is something like below?
Indoor air pollution can threaten the health of closely confined farm animals and the workers who tend them ,and may also impair the quality of such farm products as eggs, poultry, and pork.

Thanks for the reply Whit! I am going to quote my post again to clarify the situation!
If this is the case then it seems that ''the workers tend them and (the workers) may also impair the quality''! is it the right meaning? Shouldn't it be like ''Indoor air pollution can threaten...... and may also impair the quality..''?
I think you get my point!
Whit Garner
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by Whit Garner Mon Dec 26, 2022 12:54 pm

You have a list embedded in a list. A simpler example: On vacation, I like to try unique foods and beverages and visit museums and gardens. I have the main list: On vacation, I like to try (some stuff) and visit (some places). This is a 2 items list and doesn't fit any of the qualifications that would suggest a comma before the AND so there isn't one. The fact that within each list item is a sub list (eg. food and bevs or museums and gardens), doesn't change that fact.
"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." - George Bernard Shaw