Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
vid

Industrialisation and modern methods of insect control

by vid Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:26 pm

Industrialisation and modern methods of insect control have improved the standard of living around the globe while at the same time they have introduced some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants, having gone virtually unregulated since they were developed more than 50 years ago.

(A) while at the same time they have introduced some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants, having

(B) while at the same time introducing some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants that have

(C) while they have introduced some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants at the same time, which have

(D) but introducing some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants at the same time that have

(E) but at the same time introducing some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants, having

By POE, I am able to arrive at the correct OA B.
My doubt is , how can the subordinate clause starting with 'while' in B not have a finite verb.
To my knowledge, a clause should have a finite verb.Here introducing is a participle(infinite).

Pls explain grammar.
hedonist

Re: GMAT PREP Ques -

by hedonist Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:49 pm

vid Wrote:Industrialisation and modern methods of insect control have improved the standard of living around the globe while at the same time they have introduced some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants, having gone virtually unregulated since they were developed more than 50 years ago.

(A) while at the same time they have introduced some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants, having

(B) while at the same time introducing some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants that have

(C) while they have introduced some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants at the same time, which have

(D) but introducing some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants at the same time that have

(E) but at the same time introducing some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants, having

By POE, I am able to arrive at the correct OA B.
My doubt is , how can the subordinate clause starting with 'while' in B not have a finite verb.
To my knowledge, a clause should have a finite verb.Here introducing is a participle(infinite).

Pls explain grammar.

How did we eliminate D? I was unable to choose one between B and D.
dbernst
ManhattanGMAT Staff

GMAT PREP Ques -

by dbernst Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:40 am

Vid, it is grammatically acceptable to state "they have improved X while introducing Y." Answer choice D, however, by utilizing the coordinating cunjunction "but," creates a provable tense error. In essence, choice D is stating, "They have improved X but introducing Y." In this construction, the past tense "introduced" would be necessary.

-dan
georgy

by georgy Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:55 pm

:cool: sdfs
GEORGY

by GEORGY Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:59 pm

FOLLOWING ALSO COULD BE A REASON
'HAVING GONE ' IS A PERFECT PARTICIPLE,USED IN PASSIVE VOICE & PASSIVE VOICE IN UNPOPULAR WITH GMAT

What is the perfect participle?

The perfect participle indicates completed action. You form the perfect participle by putting the present participle having in front of the past participle.

For example:-

having done, having finished, having read, having spoken

It can be used to form the passive voice.

For example:-

Having improved her English Pia's promotion prospects were much better.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:36 am

http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/ind ... -t460.html

if any questions remain unanswered, please append them onto the linked thread.
thanks.