Verbal question you found somewhere else? General issue with idioms or grammar? Random verbal question? These questions belong here.
PatrikS

-ing form and ambiguity.

by PatrikS Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:35 am

I have tried to search the forum, but failed to find any satisfying answers. Exactly when is the -ing form ambiguous (from a GMAT point of view)? What kind of methods can I use to determine if an -ing form in a sentence correct problem is ambiguous?

Is answer D in the following question wrong because of an ambiguous -ing form?

Due to poaching and increased cultivation in their native habitats, researchers have determined that there are fewer than 100 Arabian leopards left in the wild, and that these leopards are thus many times as rare as China's giant pandas.

(A) Due to poaching and increased cultivation in their native habitats, researchers have determined that there are fewer than 100 Arabian leopards left in the wild, and that these leopards are thus many times as rare as
(B) Due to poaching and increased cultivation in their native habitats, there are fewer than 100 Arabian leopards left in the wild, researchers have determined, making them many times more rare than
(C) There are fewer than 100 Arabian leopards left in the wild due to poaching and increased cultivation in their native habitats, researchers have determined, which makes the leopards many times more rare compared to
(D) Researchers have determined that, because of being poached and increased cultivation in their native habitats, there are fewer than 100 Arabian leopards left in the wild, thus making them many more times as rare as
(E) Researchers have determined that, because of poaching and increased cultivation in their native habitats, there are fewer than 100 Arabian leopards left in the wild, and that these leopards are thus many times more rare than

Thanks.

Patrik
RA

by RA Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:40 am

"being" is redundant. The rule I follow is:
"being" almost always signals redundancy on the GMAT. You should avoid it whenever possible.

I would love to hear what the experts have to say?
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:13 am

RA Wrote:"being" is redundant. The rule I follow is:
"being" almost always signals redundancy on the GMAT. You should avoid it whenever possible.

I would love to hear what the experts have to say?

you're on point.
if "being" is used in a DESCRIPTION of something/someone, as it is here, then it's a fairly safe bet that it's unnecesary/redundant and therefore fatal to the answer choice in which is contained.

however, there are some constructions that REQUIRE "being", most notably passive-voice constructions. (see this problem)
so don't fall into the amateur trap of thinking that "being" is always wrong.
LT718
Course Students

Re: -ing form and ambiguity.

by LT718 Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:56 am

Hi Ron, just a quick question on the construction "... preposition + BEING". Could BEING be use correctly within a prepositional phrase? Or should we be skeptical in general with such construction. I've not encountered any correct official answer with "... preposition + BEING" construction so wanted to check with you. Many thanks in advance for your help.
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

Re: -ing form and ambiguity.

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:23 am

'Being' can used just as any other '-ing' word can. Take the following example: 'She plans on being at the party all evening.' Take care not to blindly follow rules when doing SC.