Verbal question you found somewhere else? General issue with idioms or grammar? Random verbal question? These questions belong here.
yo4561
Course Students

-ing vs that

by yo4561 Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:04 am

I want to clarify on using an -ing modifier versus "that" modifier. Let's say I have the following example below:

"He shared results showing the number of patients that tested positive" vs. "He shared results that show the number of patients that tested positive"

Is it preferable to use "results showing" or "results that", or do both options convey the same meaning in modifying "results"?
esledge
Forum Guests

Re: -ing vs that

by esledge Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:37 pm

First, please accept our apologies for the late response. A tech glitch has hidden this folder from all logged-in Manhattan Prep staff since the New Year, so I didn’t see this question until now.

I think both of those examples are correct, and the GMAT would not make you choose between them.

There's at least one OG question with a split like this (I can't recall which one offhand, but I do remember that I preferred the way the wrong answer went on the "-ing" vs. "that" decision), but other issue(s) were the deciding factor and "-ing" vs. "that" was a red herring.
Emily Sledge
Instructor
ManhattanGMAT