Does the conclusion escape you? Has understanding the tone of the passage gotten you down? Get help here.
Willy
Course Students

Re: instead of vs rather than

by Willy Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:39 am

divineacclivity, I think you are right when you inferred that Rather Than can you used to show preference of one thing over another and Instead Of can be used for replacement.
I Can. I Will.
divineacclivity
Forum Guests

by divineacclivity Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:04 am

:)
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by jnelson0612 Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:01 pm

:-)
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor
sw001
Students

by sw001 Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:17 pm

esledge Wrote:You are not alone! I just learned one useful distinction between the two this week!

The "of" in "instead of" is a preposition, and the object of a preposition must be a noun.

So you CAN say:
I want chocolate ice cream instead of vanilla today.
Miguel decided to play guitar instead of drums.
Abhi wants to know when to use the words "rather than" instead of the words "instead of."

But you SHOULDN'T say:
I walked to work instead of drove.
Miguel played guitar instead of drummed.
Abhi embraced the difficulties of grammar instead of gave up.

(See? These are all parallel--two verbs in the same tense. But, it probably even sounds weird to many people that I put a verb after "instead of." My ear is telling me to switch the last words above to driving, drumming or drums, and giving up, but that would ruin the parallelism, so there's obviously some possible difficulty with using "instead of.")

In contrast, "rather than" can compare nouns or verbs, so it's just more likely to be correct.

It's probably most noteworthy that the OG doesn't even mention the rather than/instead of choice in the explanation for questions that have it, except to say that both require parallelism.

So, this would be correct usage -
I am walking to work instead of driving. (comparing walking and driving which are gerunds, am is the verb).
Miguel is playing guitar instead of drumming. (playing guitar and drumming is compared - gerunds, "is" verb)
Students are embracing the difficulties of grammar instead of giving up. (embracing and giving up is compared - gerunds, "are" verb)
sw001
Students

by sw001 Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:17 pm

esledge Wrote:You are not alone! I just learned one useful distinction between the two this week!

The "of" in "instead of" is a preposition, and the object of a preposition must be a noun.

So you CAN say:
I want chocolate ice cream instead of vanilla today.
Miguel decided to play guitar instead of drums.
Abhi wants to know when to use the words "rather than" instead of the words "instead of."

But you SHOULDN'T say:
I walked to work instead of drove.
Miguel played guitar instead of drummed.
Abhi embraced the difficulties of grammar instead of gave up.

(See? These are all parallel--two verbs in the same tense. But, it probably even sounds weird to many people that I put a verb after "instead of." My ear is telling me to switch the last words above to driving, drumming or drums, and giving up, but that would ruin the parallelism, so there's obviously some possible difficulty with using "instead of.")

In contrast, "rather than" can compare nouns or verbs, so it's just more likely to be correct.

It's probably most noteworthy that the OG doesn't even mention the rather than/instead of choice in the explanation for questions that have it, except to say that both require parallelism.

So, this would be correct usage -
I am walking to work instead of driving. (comparing walking and driving which are gerunds, am is the verb).
Miguel is playing guitar instead of drumming. (playing guitar and drumming is compared - gerunds, "is" verb)
Students are embracing the difficulties of grammar instead of giving up. (embracing and giving up is compared - gerunds, "are" verb)
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Thu May 01, 2014 10:02 am

Sort of.

There's also a slight meaning difference. The GMAT will not test this difference"”it only tests meaning differences that are very pronounced"”but it's a difference that affects your examples.

* "X instead of Y" indicates that Y is the normal, expected, or preferred option"”in other words, that X is a substitute for Y.

* "X rather than Y" implies no such preference.

I am walking to work instead of driving.
Miguel is playing guitar instead of drumming.

These are workable sentences, but they have certain implications.

The first implies that you normally drive to work, but that today you're walking (because your car is in the shop, or because it's a "spare the air" day, or whatever).

The second implies that Miguel normally plays the drums, or would be expected to play the drums on this particular song.

Students are embracing the difficulties of grammar instead of giving up.

This sentence is grammatically sound, but its meaning is troubling: it implies that the students would normally be expected to give up!
sw001
Students

by sw001 Thu May 01, 2014 10:23 am

Ok got it. Thanks Ron for your explanation.

So, I think in such cases use of rather than (subtle) would be better - ??

Students are embracing the difficulties of grammar rather than giving up.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun May 04, 2014 1:07 pm

sw001 Wrote:So, I think in such cases use of rather than (subtle) would be better

As I mentioned above in boldface, the GMAT will not test this difference.
PrakharS433
Students

by PrakharS433 Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:33 pm

RonPurewal Wrote:Sort of.

There's also a slight meaning difference. The GMAT will not test this difference"”it only tests meaning differences that are very pronounced"”but it's a difference that affects your examples.

* "X instead of Y" indicates that Y is the normal, expected, or preferred option"”in other words, that X is a substitute for Y.

* "X rather than Y" implies no such preference.

I am walking to work instead of driving.
Miguel is playing guitar instead of drumming.

These are workable sentences, but they have certain implications.

The first implies that you normally drive to work, but that today you're walking (because your car is in the shop, or because it's a "spare the air" day, or whatever).

The second implies that Miguel normally plays the drums, or would be expected to play the drums on this particular song.

Students are embracing the difficulties of grammar instead of giving up.

This sentence is grammatically sound, but its meaning is troubling: it implies that the students would normally be expected to give up!

Hi Ron,

Can we use BUT RATHER or BUT INSTEAD together..??
Or its redundant as both words show contrast.

Related question to this problem.

Machines powered by hydraulics are not driven by the steam produced by boiling water, but rather,
high-pressure fluids are transmitted throughout the machine to various motors and hydraulic cylinders.

a) water, but rather
b) water, but instead
c) water; instead
d) water; rather
e) water; but

OA- C

Can we straightaway eliminate Option A and B by simply seeing BUT RATHER or BUT INSTEAD together...??

Please share your views.

Thanks in advance.
Prakhar
tim
Course Students

by tim Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:24 pm

There is nothing inherently wrong with saying "but rather" or "but instead".
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html