vishalc581
Students

IR - population visiting selected cultural institutions

by vishalc581 Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:11 am

Hi,

I couldn't understand a question from GMAT prep so I checked Stacey's post that solves this question but I still have doubt

https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/blog ... -analysis/

Statement :2

"Of the countries / political unions in the table, Russia has the fewest natural history museums per capita."

How can we say that "Russia has the fewest natural history museums per capita"?

We don't know the population of Russia and I think

natural history museums per capita = Total number of natural history museums in Russia/Total population

statement -1:

"The proportion of the population of Brazil that lives within close proximity to at least one museum is larger than that of Russia."

Stacey's answer:

The statement says that, in Brazil, people are more likely to live in close proximity to a museum, which naturally would make it easier to visit a museum. There are two types of museums listed on the table: history and science. In both cases, the data indicates that a greater percentage of the Brazilian population than the Russian population visited a museum. That makes sense, given that more people in Brazil live closer to the museums.

But still I believe if we don't know the population of both the countries till then we can't compare.

Can you Please explain.
Thanks & Regards,
Vishal
tim
Course Students

Re: IR - population visiting selected cultural institutions

by tim Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:56 am

You are fundamentally misunderstanding what is being asked in the question. The question is not asking which of the statements are true. You are correct that we don't know for sure that any of them are true. Take a closer look at what is being asked, and let us know if you still have questions.
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
vishalc581
Students

by vishalc581 Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:30 am

Hi Tim,

Question says select "WOULD HELP EXPLAIN" if true help explain some information in the table. Otherwise select "WOULD NOT HELP EXPLAIN"

ok I got your point. I formulated in my mind something else about the question i.e. must be true and well that's not the case.

So should I treat this as strengthening question if the any of the given statement is true i.e. the that statement would help to explain the information in table.

Am I right?
Thanks & Regards,
Vishal
tim
Course Students

by tim Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:14 pm

That sounds like a good plan!
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html