Strategy Guides, Question Banks, Homework Banks, and all other MPREP GMAT Non-CAT related IR questions.
Mk.d
Course Students

IR Two-Part Question Bank #1

by Mk.d Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:49 pm

MGMAT IR Two-Part Question Bank #1:

A gardener is planning a garden layout. There are two rectangular beds, A and B, that will each contain a total of 5 types of shrubs or flowers. For each bed, the gardener can choose from among 6 types of annual flowers, 4 types of perennial flowers, and 7 types of shrubs. Bed A must contain exactly 1 type of shrub and exactly 2 types of annual flower. Bed B must contain exactly 2 types of shrub and at least 1 type of annual flower. No flower or shrub will used more than once in each bed.
Identify the number of possible combinations of shrubs and flowers for bed A and the number of possible combinations of shrubs and flowers for bed B. Make only two selections, one in each column.

Question:
For Bed B, you need exactly 2 shrubs and at least 1 annual flower. I'm just wondering why my method yields a different answer.

For Shrub: 7*6/2 = 21 --> This part is fine
For Annual: 6
For the rest - there remains 4 perennial flowers and 5 annuals flowers for a total of 9 types --> 9*8/2 = 36

21*6*36 = 4,536 --> This is clearly not the right answer. However, I am uncertain as to why you have to break the second part (for annual flowers) into different scenarios instead of lumping them together with the perennial flowers? After all, I have satisfied the minimum requirement of at least 1 annual.

Much appreciated.
tim
Course Students

Re: IR Two-Part Question Bank #1

by tim Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:23 pm

You seem to be randomly multiplying numbers together without much thought to what the numbers represent. I would recommend with this one we focus on the "at least" part and remember our 1-x trick: figure out what you DON'T want and subtract it from the total:

It sounds like you agree that there are 21 ways to choose shrubs. As for the rest, there are 10 remaining types of plants from which to choose the 3 remaining ones. 10C3 = 120. What about the ones that DON'T contain an annual flower? For that we have to choose 3 from among 4 options. 4C3 = 4. These are the ones we DON'T want from among the 120 choices. 120 - 4 = 116 options for the remaining 3 plants. Multiplying this by the 21 ways to choose shrubs gives us 116 * 21 = 2436.
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
IlyaR508
Course Students

by IlyaR508 Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:29 pm

Dear MGMAT,
This question seems confusing because the answer assumes that the number of flowers resets after they are used up in Bed A. Realistically, if you have 7 shrubs, of which at least 1 was planted in Box A, then at most there should 6 shrubs left for plant B.

Also it is confusing what is meant by "No flower or shrub will used more than once in each bed."

Please comment.

Thanks
tim
Course Students

by tim Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:11 am

Here is my comment: It sounds as though you don't like this question. Unfortunately there are a lot of GMAT questions you won't like. Your job is to deal with that and learn to interpret questions the way the GMAT intends for you to.
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html