Study and Strategy questions relating to the GMAT.
ZaneZ491
Students

Is choice A special in Sentence Correction?

by ZaneZ491 Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:01 am

Dear instructors,

I have been using this strategy when dealing with SC problems for a while: When I am reading the original sentence and spot an clear error, I would imediately eliminate all choices that contain this error, replace the underlined part with the firt choice left and then read the sentence as a whole. The reason why I do this is that sometimes the orighinal sentence is so nonsensical that I cannot understand what the sentence is trying to say, and that since the likelihood of the remaining choices being correct is higher, it would be more likely that by replacing the choice A I can understand the sentence.

I have heard someone saying that it would be better not to alter the meaning of the original sentence and that you should not ignore choice A even if it is clearly not the right anwser.

I am wondering whether this kind of saying is true and whether my strategy is effective.

Thank you in advance.

(BTW: I tried to post this in the verbal SC section, but I cannot find the post button. I am sorry about this.)
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: Is choice A special in Sentence Correction?

by StaceyKoprince Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:34 pm

Hello! You couldn't find the post button in the verbal folder because we no longer offer free support. It was costing us too much in time (which is money!), so only our students can now post in all of the other folders.

We did leave this folder open to the public for bigger strategy issues. I'll give you a short answer but can't go into detail, unfortunately.

You can change the meaning of the original sentence and, in fact, if the original meaning is faulty in some way (illogical or ambiguous), then you have to change that meaning to something that makes sense!

In general, a meaning is acceptable if it is clear, logical, and unambiguous. If a sentence fails that test (whether the original or an answer choice), then you can eliminate that choice.

I will say a couple more things:
– It is still a good practice to read to the end of the original sentence, even after you've found one error and eliminated (A). Why? Because you may spot additional errors that you can use to cross off other answers. You're already part-way through; you might as well take advantage of the fact that you understand* things so far and see whether there's anything else you can use to eliminate.
– *That assumes that you do understand! If the sentence is so convoluted that you can't understand it then, yes, maybe you will stop reading it as soon as you realize you can eliminate it. (Though I will say: If you understand it enough to eliminate it, then it can't be that hard. :) )
– If I can't understand the sentence, I try the same thing you do: inserting some other choice for the blank (I usually try E because that choice is usually the most different from the original). But I also don't spend a ton of time doing this, because if I'm struggling to understand the sentence, then my chances of getting this one right have just plummeted. So if I'm still struggling after inserting another choice, I just guess and move on.
– But if I can understand the sentence, then I don't substitute another answer into the blank to read the whole thing—that takes way too long. I've only get 1m20s on average for SC. Then, I eliminate what I can based on the original and compare the answers to find other differences to tackle.
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep
ZaneZ491
Students

by ZaneZ491 Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:34 am

StaceyKoprince Wrote:Hello! You couldn't find the post button in the verbal folder because we no longer offer free support. It was costing us too much in time (which is money!), so only our students can now post in all of the other folders.

We did leave this folder open to the public for bigger strategy issues. I'll give you a short answer but can't go into detail, unfortunately.

You can change the meaning of the original sentence and, in fact, if the original meaning is faulty in some way (illogical or ambiguous), then you have to change that meaning to something that makes sense!

In general, a meaning is acceptable if it is clear, logical, and unambiguous. If a sentence fails that test (whether the original or an answer choice), then you can eliminate that choice.

I will say a couple more things:
– It is still a good practice to read to the end of the original sentence, even after you've found one error and eliminated (A). Why? Because you may spot additional errors that you can use to cross off other answers. You're already part-way through; you might as well take advantage of the fact that you understand* things so far and see whether there's anything else you can use to eliminate.
– *That assumes that you do understand! If the sentence is so convoluted that you can't understand it then, yes, maybe you will stop reading it as soon as you realize you can eliminate it. (Though I will say: If you understand it enough to eliminate it, then it can't be that hard. :) )
– If I can't understand the sentence, I try the same thing you do: inserting some other choice for the blank (I usually try E because that choice is usually the most different from the original). But I also don't spend a ton of time doing this, because if I'm struggling to understand the sentence, then my chances of getting this one right have just plummeted. So if I'm still struggling after inserting another choice, I just guess and move on.
– But if I can understand the sentence, then I don't substitute another answer into the blank to read the whole thing—that takes way too long. I've only get 1m20s on average for SC. Then, I eliminate what I can based on the original and compare the answers to find other differences to tackle.

Thank you Stacey! Your explaination is really clear and very helpful!
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:04 pm

I'm glad. Good luck with everything!
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep