Study and Strategy questions relating to the GMAT.
Maxwell

Is it legal for me to buy someone elses used online course

by Maxwell Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:23 pm

There is a guy who has paid for Manhattn Online virtual course and he has been accepted into a B-School and does not need this course any more. He has 6 sessions left and is selling his course, is it legal to buy this course and use it for the remaining sessions?
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:10 pm

Technically, no - it's only legal to resell the books. In terms of whether or not anyone can tell... if it's an online course and you just use his name, then we wouldn't really know, would we? The only thing is that communication from us to him will go to his email address or phone number, so you may either miss some communication or not be able to access all of the resources. He may also already have "used up" some of the online resources (eg, maybe he's already taken 2 or 3 tests).

Also, one of the things that comes with the course is a test review at the end of the course. This won't work for you b/c the teacher would review of some of his tests and some of your tests - which wouldn't make any sense, obviously. The feedback you got would be totally flawed.

So... you'll have to decide what you want to do. Just make sure this isn't a scam of some sort. I doubt he'll give you his username and password until you've paid and then what if the username and password don't work or something like that?
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep
Maxwell

Online Course

by Maxwell Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:27 pm

skoprince Wrote:Technically, no - it's only legal to resell the books. In terms of whether or not anyone can tell... if it's an online course and you just use his name, then we wouldn't really know, would we? The only thing is that communication from us to him will go to his email address or phone number, so you may either miss some communication or not be able to access all of the resources. He may also already have "used up" some of the online resources (eg, maybe he's already taken 2 or 3 tests).

Also, one of the things that comes with the course is a test review at the end of the course. This won't work for you b/c the teacher would review of some of his tests and some of your tests - which wouldn't make any sense, obviously. The feedback you got would be totally flawed.

So... you'll have to decide what you want to do. Just make sure this isn't a scam of some sort. I doubt he'll give you his username and password until you've paid and then what if the username and password don't work or something like that?

Stacey, thank you for the reply. I appreciate it, I paid $300 for it already Stacey. He sent me the username/password and all the books and his username and password work, he has 3 sessions to go and has taken only 1 test. I should have waited until I read your email. What can I do?
Maxwell

by Maxwell Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:11 pm

Stacey, I wrote to Student Services and gave them all the details, hopefull they can help me out.
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:13 pm

Okay, let me know what happens. Just FYI that they might cancel the program - I think that's official policy because, technically, it isn't legal to resell the course. But let me know and I'll see what I can do if that happens.
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep