The smoke has cleared, the test has come and gone. Feel free to share your experiences with your peers.
buzzblack
Course Students

Is it true that GMAT verbal is harder on the actual test?

by buzzblack Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:05 am

Word on the street is that MGMAT verbal somewhat underprepares you for the actual GMAT. Is this true? I have heard that he Quant portion of the exam is more mellow and the verbal is more difficult when compared with MGMAT practice material. Please advise.
dbmakhija
Course Students

Re: Is it true that GMAT verbal is harder on the actual test?

by dbmakhija Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:30 am

Yes thats indeed true.

I scored terribly bad in my verbal in actual tests today in VERBAL which was my strong point and scored well in it in all MGmat and GMAT Prep exams.

Do we need to refer some other verbal guides ?????? Please advise
nilendud
Course Students

by nilendud Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:36 pm

This is scarying me...I am a month away from my exam day.
I took my GMATPrep1 yesterday and my verbal score was below expectation.

There is also a thread going on about the algo change:

http://www.beatthegmat.com/urgent-for-a ... 01-30.html

I am sure not what my next steps should be..
pscottbryant
Students

by pscottbryant Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:37 pm

I disagree that this is necessarily true. I never received higher than a 720 or scored above 93%ile on verbal any practice exams and ended up scoring a 740 and a 99% in verbal on the real thing. The only advice I would give is read the entire sentence correction handbook during the week leading up to the test as this will keep all the rules fresh. I was surprised how quickly I could spot the correct sentence by systematically breaking down the sentence using the techniques described in the book.
manoj.dani
Students

by manoj.dani Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:56 pm

I just completed my official GMAT today and found that it is indeed true. My verbal scores in MGMAT were around 40- 44 but just got 33 in the official test. Still wondering where I messed up.
balbirs
Students

by balbirs Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:36 am

Seems true to me, same thing happened to me yesterday. The math on GMAT was much simpler, I got 51 but the verbal was much difficult got just 34 as against 38/ 39 I used to get on MGMAT
yrholkar
Course Students

by yrholkar Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:24 am

i found that the verbal on the actual exam was not THAT much more difficult, but my score on the verbal was far far below what I had consistently been scoring at in the practice exams. It seems I'm not the only one. Has anyone found a good explanation for why this is such a widespread phenomena?
chhabrapc
Students

by chhabrapc Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:11 pm

The same happened with me too. In all the 5 MGMAT exams that I had given, i never got less than 35 in verbal. I even got 40 in one of the exams. But, in real GMAT i got only 31.

And yes, quant questions were easier in real GMAT wherein I got 50. In MGMAT I had gotten 46-51.
abhitechie
Forum Guests

by abhitechie Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:28 am

Its not that actual GMAT verbal is more difficult than MGMAT. It appears that you can get away with more mistakes on the verbal in MGMAT and still get a pretty good score when compared to the GMAT. In GMAT more than 7-8 mistakes in verbal pushes your score beneath V40. However in MGMAT can can make 10-11 mistakes and still get a V40. It has more to do with scoring algo than questions being tough. It may be true that GMAT questions are easier than MGMAT and making mistakes penalises you more than MGMAT.The takeaway is accuracy matters more in actual GMAT.
poussin0072000
Students

by poussin0072000 Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:23 am

Even the verbal from the Official GMAT Prep was below what I experienced in the real GMAT test...

However, concerning those score issues, the Official Prep is meant to give you the right score (I think), and I remember getting a 43(or was it 44?) with 7 incorrect answers.
oberoi_vivek
Forum Guests

by oberoi_vivek Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:26 pm

Hi,

Is the GMAT Prep Quant harder or easier than the actual exam?
Thanks,