Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
aaa

It was not long after the 1930s commenced that

by aaa Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:47 pm

The correct answer is a. Why is the pronoun it correct?

It was not long after the 1930s commenced that such baritone singers as Bing Crosby and Russ Columbo contributed to the popularization of a type of romantic, soothing singing that came to be called "crooning."

a. It was not long after the 1930s commenced that such baritone singers as Bing Crosby and Russ Columbo contributed to

b. Not long after the commencement of the decade of the 1930s, baritone singers such as Bing Crosby and also Russ Columbo decided to contribute in

c. Not long after the 1930s commenced, baritone singers like Bing Crosby and Russ Columbo contributed to

d.Not long after the beginning of the 1930s commencement, baritone singers like Bing Crosby and Russ Columbo had contributed to

e.It was not long after the 1930s commenced that baritone singers such as Bing Crosby and Russ Columbo had contributed in
givemeanid

by givemeanid Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:30 am

B -> 'contributed to' is correct idiom. Also, 'singers such as Bing Crosby and also Russ Columbo' is wrong. 'Also' should not be there.
C -> 'singers like Bing Crosby' is wrong. These are examples and the correct usage is 'such as'
D -> 'beginning of commencement' is awkward and redundant
E -> 'had contributed' implies the contribution happened before commencement of 1930s. That is not implied by the original sentence.

'It' in A does not need an antecedent. This is just 'part of the usage' for lack of better explanation on my part.

by Guest Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:21 am

Thanks...but why doenst it need an antecedent?
givemeanid

by givemeanid Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:03 am

Anonymous Wrote:Thanks...but why doenst it need an antecedent?

Not sure brother. English not being my native language, I have a hard time with the SC rules. I go by my ear on things like this and it just 'sounds right'. Somebody from the staff (or somebody who knows) needs to explain.
JadranLee
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by JadranLee Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:07 pm

Not every pronoun needs an antecedent in the same sentence. For example, "He is tall" is a perfectly correct sentence, even though "he" does not have an antecedent in the sentence.

In the case of "He is tall", however, we at least know that the pronoun is referring to someone (a male human being). In the case of "It was not long after the 1930s...", the "it" doesn't refer to anything at all. This may seem puzzling, but is conventional. We use "it" as a meaningless subject for expressions concerning time, weather, temperature, or distance. Thus we say:

It was raining hard.
It is hot outside.
It's a long way to Tipperary.
It has been years since I graduated from high school.

-Jad

by Guest Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:59 pm

I disregarded choice "A" because "baritone singers" was in between such and as (such baritone singers as). I did not know that you were able to do that. Is this just another thing that is ok to do?
esledge
Forum Guests

Re: It was not long after the 1930s commenced that

by esledge Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:45 pm

Yep, you can do that.

I enjoy such ice cream flavors as chocolate, vanilla, and bubble gum.
In English class, we read such classics as Moby Dick, Hamlet, and Beowulf.

You may want to check out OG Verbal Guide #105, which uses the phrase "such specialized areas as" in the correct answer.
Emily Sledge
Instructor
ManhattanGMAT
Yee CheeY99
Course Students

by Yee CheeY99 Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:52 am

hi in the newer question, choice E replaces "contribute" to "participate". Anyway, my question is: why "had decided" cant be thought as the 1st event which is then followed by the 2nd event of "singing came to be ..."?
Thanks
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:16 pm

That's a hard one for me to explain. To describe the meaning of the sentence in general terms, we have three events: the beginning of the 1930s, the participation / contribution of Bing and Russ, and then that the singing came to be known as "crooning". The last event is an add-on to the sentence, a modifier, extra information. The reader's attention is focused on the first two events, making the 'had decided' confusing, as the order is (1) the 1930s started, followed by (2) the participation / contribution of Bing and Russ.

The past perfect is generally used in some set structures (such as 'by [certain time], we had [verb]') or to clarify the order of events. Neither of those apply here.