If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
jjm1181

leadership and extraciricular activies?

by jjm1181 Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:42 pm

I don't have many items that I can put under these two categories. I have a few months until I turn in my applications. What can I do to improve these categories? Or what activities can I start doing to show my leadership skills and my hard work outside of my job?
MBAApply

by MBAApply Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:31 am

Get more involved in things you enjoy.

It's not about "filling in the categories" on some form.

No one can tell you what extracurriculars to pursue - what you pursue is a reflection of what you care about (which is why only you can figure it out - because only you can figure out what you care about).

Adcoms aren't looking for some specific activity or organization. They are looking for people who are well rounded and passionate about what they do - and not folks trying to do stuff as resume builders (and yes, it's not hard to figure out if something is a resume builder).

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
www.mbaapply.com
http://mbaapply.blogspot.com
jjm1181

by jjm1181 Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:35 pm

Do you have any suggestions on what activities I could look into? Or do you have any good websites I look at for ideas on activities I might enjoy? Would joining the local county chamber of commerce be benifiical at all?
MBAApply

by MBAApply Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:29 am

What makes you think I would know what you might enjoy?

Again, I can't give you interests, personality, passion, etc. - you have to figure this stuff out on your own. It's your life.

As I've said before, there's tons of stuff out there for you to get involved in depending on your interests - political organizations, religious groups, nonprofits, charities, arts organizations, and so forth. It's about building a life, not a resume.

A plug 'n play quick-fix that you're looking for won't work - because adcoms will see right through it.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
www.mbaapply.com
http://mbaapply.blogspot.com