Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
goMba

Less vs Few; Lesser vs Fewer; Less vs Lower

by goMba Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:25 am

These variations really confuse the hell out of me. Can someone in the forum shed some light or pass on some rules of thumb with regards to the use of each of these adjectives?

Will appreciate your help. Looking forward.

Thanks in advance.
Guest_Sept 27

by Guest_Sept 27 Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:52 am

Hey guys, I agree with gomba -- can someone explain to me the difference between when to use less vs. lower?

Re fewer vs. less, I believe fewer is used for countable items whereas less is used for non-countable items.

(E.g., the counter signs at Whole Foods -- "10 items or fewer"

Thanks!
esledge
Forum Guests

Less/Few/Low

by esledge Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:00 pm

"Less" refers to a smaller number or quantity, usually of something uncountable (and thus singular).
There is less water in the bucket than in the pool.
I have been trying to cut back, so now I drink less coffee.

However, we can use "less" to refer to something plural if it is a measure of time, money, or distance.
The red sweater is on sale for $10 less than regular price.
The distance to the grocery store is 3 miles less than the distance to the restaurant.
Felicia spoke to the group for less than 5 minutes.

(The idea behind this exception is that time, money, and distance are all uncountable as bulk quantities, so we use "less" as the comparison word even though we have countable units of measure for these quantities.)

Typically we would use "few/fewer" to refer to a smaller number of countable (and thus plural) items.
Express checkout: 10 items or fewer.
Gene has read only a few books on the assigned reading list.

"Lower" is the comparative of "low," so it should only be applied to things that could be described as low.
The average temperature is lower in the winter than in the summer.
Lower the water level in the pool by pulling the drain plug.
Emily Sledge
Instructor
ManhattanGMAT
rohit21384

Re: Less vs Few; Lesser vs Fewer; Less vs Lower

by rohit21384 Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:07 pm

which one is correct

fewer than 500 words or less than 500 words

I reckon that it should be fewer than 500 words going by the plural logic but have seen people writting lesss than 500 words.
please advise.
RonPurewal
Students

Re: Less vs Few; Lesser vs Fewer; Less vs Lower

by RonPurewal Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:01 am

rohit21384 Wrote:which one is correct

fewer than 500 words or less than 500 words

I reckon that it should be fewer than 500 words going by the plural logic but have seen people writting lesss than 500 words.
please advise.

you could actually use either of these constructions. there would be a subtle difference in meaning, though, depending on your choice.

coincidentally enough, i wrote about this EXACT distinction here:
post26913.html#p26913
(scroll to the end of the post for the part concerning "words")