Does the conclusion escape you? Has understanding the tone of the passage gotten you down? Get help here.
saxenankit
Students

Like vs As

by saxenankit Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:57 am

Refer: Manhattan SC Correction guide page no 131

The second question on that page is -
I scored three goals in yesterday's game, as did Suzane.

This sentence is correct. I understand that.

My question is - If I replace 'as' with 'like' and drop 'did', then will the sentence be valid ?
In other words, is the below sentence correct ?-

I scored 3 goals in yesterday's game, like Suzane.
OR
Like Suzane, I scored 3 goals in yesterday's game.
dmitryknowsbest
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: Like vs As

by dmitryknowsbest Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:50 am

Yes, you can make that switch if you eliminate the verb in the second portion. Of your two sentences, the second is clearer (Like Suzanne, I scored . . . ), but the first is not incorrect.
Dmitry Farber
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
saxenankit
Students

by saxenankit Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:49 pm

Thanks for the reply Dmitry.

This question came into my mind because there is a question in OG similar to the below sentence -

Like Ankit, Rohan rebelled against the government.

(THIS IS NOT AN OG QUESTION)

I thought I can rephrase the above sentence as --

Like Ankit <did>, Rohan rebelled against the government.

If I assume that this rephrase is correct then Like doesn't fit here. The verb did requires As

Can you please also clarify why I can't rephrase the sentence as above ? My point here is - can't I think that did was simply dropped as we drop words in Ellipses.
dmitryknowsbest
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by dmitryknowsbest Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:31 pm

I see what you're saying. We can't drop verbs in a comparison. If we do have verbs in both parts, then we are comparing clauses, and therefore need "as." If we are using "like," we are comparing nouns, so the meaning is slightly different. Let's compare:

Like Ankit, Rohan rebelled against the government.

This means that Ankit is similar to Rohan, in that both rebelled against the government.

As Ankit did, Rohan rebelled against the government.

Here, we are saying that the actions are similar, but we are not drawing a comparison between the people. I know this is a subtle difference, but it is a difference all the same. Depending on the context, one or other comparison might work better. For isntance, here's a sentence where a "like" comparison works well:

Like the GRE, the GMAT is a computer-adaptive exam.

This is much better than saying "As is the GRE." We are drawing a similarity between the two exams. On the other hand, here's one where "as" is better:

Melanie agrees with me, as does Fred.

This is better than saying "Like Fred, Melanie agrees with me," because I am able to better emphasize the point that more than one person agrees with me. I'm not trying to say that Melanie and Fred are alike; I'm just trying to drum up support for myself.
Dmitry Farber
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
saxenankit
Students

by saxenankit Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:17 am

Thanks Dmitry. I will keep this in mind.
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by jnelson0612 Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:00 am

Thank you Dmitry.
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor
onkipak
Forum Guests

by onkipak Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:54 am

saxenankit Wrote:Refer: Manhattan SC Correction guide page no 131

The second question on that page is -
I scored three goals in yesterday's game, as did Suzane.
[/i]

I know this is an old discussion but I have another question on the answer.

May I know if there is any difference between " as did Suzane" and " as Suzane did"?

Thank you!
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:46 am

onkipak Wrote:May I know if there is any difference between " as did Suzane" and " as Suzane did"?

Thank you!

No difference.
But, if "Suzanne" is followed by a decently long modifier, then only the former is readable.

E.g.,
I scored three goals in the game, as did Suzane, who had only scored two goals in the entire preceding year.
--> If you try to put "did" after this entire huge modifier, you'd have to read the sentence at least 3-4 times to make any sense of it. This (unreadable) version wouldn't be strictly "wrong""”and, as such, won't be tested on the exam"”but it's, well, unreadable.